What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Quick Video ? the View from the RV-3

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, new camera (GoPro Hero2 ? the price at Oshkosh was too good to pass up), new computer, new software ? just playing with all three to see if I still know how to make and post a video (the more gadgets I get, the less I know how to use?.). It was one of those gorgeous Gulf Coast mornings, about 1100 ? we?ll have thundershowers this afternoon, but they?ll be widely spread. Hollywood comes here to get cloud pictures?.

http://youtu.be/9d7X1H24Gho

Don?t you just love that bubble canopy view? :D

Just hand-held the camera to pan it around ? what a neat little device! I only wish they could figure out how to get rid of the prop artifacts.

(All legal cloud clearances were maintained during the making of this one-minute film!)

Paul

Avionics during coupled approach

Cool video Paul. If you keep posting and want ideas, I'd like to see a video of your avionics, especially how you set up your displays, engage, and fly a coupled approach.

Very good - works great on the full-screen.

How is the ventilation system working out? -- And what did you end up with for that?

Dave

How is the ventilation system working out? -- And what did you end up with for that?

Well I guess since this is the high point of the summer temperatures on the gulf coast, and we seem to be surviving, I'd say that what we have is "adequate"....but I would prefer a bit more air. We have the two circular vents on the skirt, and they really produce more noise than they do airflow. If I were doing it again, I think I'd put a couple of RV-10 backseat vents underneath the longerons, maybe a foot behind the panel - I'd think they would scoop in some air there. But you never know until you try it.

What we have was great up at 8,000' where I shot this today! :)

Paul

Just hand-held the camera to pan it around ? what a neat little device! I only wish they could figure out how to get rid of the prop artifacts.

Wow - what stable hands you have Paul... and so many antennae!! ;)

Love the video - keep them coming! We don't get too many of those white puffy things out here in New Mexico - I kinda miss getting to fly around them (kinda...).

I don't know why they will not speed up the frame rate. I have a hand held Sony video camera that shows the prop as my eyes see it. This is not a real expensive camcorder either. Give it a look if you like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqEJ91xqBM

It's not a frame rate problem, it relates to how the camera captures the video. Better cameras capture the entire frame at once, whereas the consumer models like the GoPro and Contour "scan" the sensor continuously. The consequence is that fast-moving objects are distorted, since they move noticeably during the time it takes for the scan to complete.

It makes props look weird, but it's the compromise we get to live with in order to have affordable full-HD camcorders.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Oh, and awesome video! :D

I don't know why they will not speed up the frame rate. I have a hand held Sony video camera that shows the prop as my eyes see it. This is not a real expensive camcorder either. Give it a look if you like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqEJ91xqBM

It's not a frame rate problem, it relates to how the camera captures the video. Better cameras capture the entire frame at once, whereas the consumer models like the GoPro and Contour "scan" the sensor continuously. The consequence is that fast-moving objects are distorted, since they move noticeably during the time it takes for the scan to complete.

It makes props look weird, but it's the compromise we get to live with in order to have affordable full-HD camcorders.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Oh, and awesome video! :D

I shoot a Drift Contour camera with a CMOS chip (like the Go-Pro) and have found that 60fps reduces the prop artifact. I've also heard of using a neutral density filter to slow the shutter speed. I have reason to believe this would be effective because video shot from my Legal Eagle late in the evening (30fps) under lower light results in a very nice realistic prop blur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGDSCx_sKY&feature=plcp

Neutral density filter

Paul, I put a 46mm Neutral Density filter on my case and it gets rid of the prop lines, BUT, in the wide angle modes (170 degrees) it rounds the edges of the video's. Smokey put a larger 55mm filter on his and it still shows some of the round edges. By cutting down on the amount of light coming into the camera it changes the capture rate and gets rid of the lines.

You will need a Bower 25.5-46 or 25.5 55 or larger filter adapter ring. It replaces the lens on the GoPro case and the filter just screws onto that.
I used a Tiffen 46mm ND 0.9 filter and it gets rid of all the lines.

We are still experimenting with the right size filter, but I think the 55 is the largest you an use without getting in the way of the on/off button on the case.

7831296290_a24e4e5147_m.jpg

Neat info Widget - I'm going to save that......

I bought the camera primarily for capturing flight test data (on airplanes that don't have data capture capability) when I do airplane reviews and the like. Wearing it on the chest harness works amazingly well to grab what is happening on the instruments, and I can go back later to see speeds, fuel flows, etc.

Playing with it as an "outside camera" works pretty darn well though!

Paul

Paul,

Did you apply some sort of stabilization filter on the raw video?

Or does the Gopro have some sort of active stabilization?

I ask because it looks too steady for being handheld??

Paul,

I don't know if the GoPro does anythign - I sure didn't. I was at 8,000', and the air was smooth.....

Paul,

The extreme wide-angle reduces the effect of camera motion.

GoPro

''Playing with it as an "outside camera" works pretty darn well though!',

It works even better with the optional WI-FI remote module install and you can control up to 50 cameras at the same time..

It is nice to be able to start and stop the camera at will while airborne..

I will a try the filters just to get ride off the prop arc effect....

Bruno

propellers, telephone wires, con trails....

I was going to post a spoof ad for a special filter that would take out the propeller, and other unwanted photo artifacts. But it looks like you guys have already solved it. cheers.

Back