What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parts storage

N941WR

Legacy Member
Every builder comes up with ways to store parts as they build. If I wouldn't have gotten hitched five months ago the wings would be in my living room. Since that no longer an option, I had to get creative and find a place to hang my flaps.

It is possible I might add some taller 2x4's and hang other parts above the flaps.

Besides hanging parts from the ceiling, where and how are you storing parts?

Gosh Bill,

It kind of makes a man wonder why he didn't get an "aircraft storage" prenuptial agreement, huh? :D

The progress of your plane is looking great! I wish we had basements here in Texas, but supposedly the soil is not conducive to having them. I am building in a shop which is the size of a one-car garage. Once I get to the storage needs, fortunately I have an off-site hangar where a buddy has offered to let me store things as I complete them.

Have a good one,

P.s......

I am building a -9 too. Taildragger all the way!

I was very torn between choosing the 7 or the 9, and many people gave me their opinions, which I greatly appreciated. At the end of the day, I had to make the decision for myself, and I chose the -9.

I made a list of pro's and con's, and I really liked the landing characteristics of the 9, after flying both the 7 and the 9. Then came the thought of aerobatics....In all honesty, sure it would be cool to have the ability if desired, but I can honestly say that I really don't plan on doing anything fancy. I just want a safe plane, which I build, that I am completely comfortable with. Cross-country and just a fun flying plane is what I am after.

So, I finally took the plunge and made my decision for the 9. I haven't had any regrets so far!

C-ya,

RV-9 vs RV-7

Gary,

I had the same thoughts as you when I was thinking about which one to build. It came down to how I want to use the thing. I really enjoy backpacking and getting away and I thought I would use the -9 as a fast bush plane, thus the lower landing speeds are very important to me.

I've already told Nora that the next project will be a bi-plane, probably a Hatz or a Acrosport II with rounded wing tips but lets finish this one first! :D

She will use the -9 to get her PPL so I figure the lower landing speeds will be a plus.

The basement is great but I will have to enlarge the single outside door to extract the fuselage from my shop. Like TX, NC isn't good for basements but since my house is on a hill, it was possible for them to build it and that was the main reason I bought this house.

Keep pounding those rivets, you will be surprised at how fast it goes.

Last edited:
Back