What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing a Blue Mountain

7pilot

Well Known Member
It is time.

I don't feel like I can depend on my Blue Mountain EFIS Lite G3 that is in the middle of my panel. While it is still working, I want something that I can have confidence in.

Looking for recommendations with these requirements:

- I was not using the Auto Pilot in the BM so that is not a factor - I have a tru-trak installed.

- I am not dependent on the GPS that is also part of the BM, I have a 430W and a 496 already in the plane.

- I don't want to redo the whole panel so I am restricted on space and need to make use of a standard instrument hole.

- I don't need capability for the engine side at all - I have an Advanced Systems AF2500 that is handling that very satisfactorily.

- While I have A/S, Alt, Turn & Bank, Vert Speed - I don't have a horizon without the BM and I do fly IFR.

- Of course cost is a major factor. But I will stretch the budget to come up with something that can be dependable and provide the greatest utility.

- Here is my panel presently...

elliott%27s%20rv-7A%20015.jpg

Thanks for your input!

Stewart

I could be wrong, but.....

I think the only EFIS that's going to fit in that space is a Dynon D10A, regardless of your other requirements.

brian

Thanks Brian

That is the only thing I have come up with as well. If I can find someplace to put in the HSI expansion module it looks like this could be a nice replacement.

I seem to remember back when I was building that if I had the 430 going through an EFIS (Like the D10A) I would be able to link the Tru Trak to it and then be able to use the output from the EFIS to drive the tru trak on an ILS? Can anyone speak to that?

Right now I only have direct input from the 430 to the tru trak and it will very nicely drive through a GPS LPV but not for an ILS.

Thanks,

Stewart

Last edited:
I seem to remember back when I was building that if I had the 430 going through an EFIS (Like the D10A) I would be able to link the Tru Trak to it and then be able to use the output from the EFIS to drive the tru trak on an ILS? Can anyone speak to that?

I could be mistaken... but I think that the only supported way to get a 430 to drive a TruTrak A/P thru an ILS is if you have their top of the line "Sorcerer" A/P model and connect it to the 430 via AIRINC 429, not via RS-232.

I could be mistaken... but I think that the only supported way to get a 430 to drive a TruTrak A/P thru an ILS is if you have their top of the line "Sorcerer" A/P model and connect it to the 430 via AIRINC 429, not via RS-232.

Partially true..... You lose ILS and VOR approaches. GPS approaches still work just fine. But that is dependent on the specific AP installed.

You may also want to take a look at Trutrak's new Gemini line.

HS34 for Dynon D10A

I was looking through Dynon's site and came across an option to add an HS34 that says it provides linkage for the ARINC 429 from the 430 - so wouldn't that then allow me to drive the Tru Trak for VOR/ILS?

I went through the same process last year, except, in my case, the BMA unit was faulty.

I just opted for the Dynon D6 which was a straight swap on the panel and quite an easy installation. The dynon has been working perfectly since, with the added advantage of the internal back-up battery with 2 hours worth of reserve power in the event of electrical melt-down.

To get back the G-meter, I added a GT-50 in place of an existing voltmeter (the Dynon serves as a voltmeter too).

I was looking through Dynon's site and came across an option to add an HS34 that says it provides linkage for the ARINC 429 from the 430 - so wouldn't that then allow me to drive the Tru Trak for VOR/ILS?

I'm not all that familiar with Dynon, but yes, that should solve the issue. Basically, the EFIS is translating the different signal source types to a type the AP can understand. This is true for most EFIS's today.

It's only hooking up the GPS direct to the AP where the issue comes into play.

bob

You may also want to take a look at Trutrak's new Gemini line.

The new Gemini line looks quite promising for your application. For now, anyway, it's still vaporware, but some speculate the product might be launched at Oshkosh this year.

I thought Dynon can't do that.. never could.. These are little things that typically don't get investigated until it's too late.

Either way, the restrictions (on size) you placed pretty much say either D10 or the MGL unit.. so I guess functionality is not (as) important.

The HS-34 translates ARINC 429 into Dynon DSAB for the purposes of driving the HSI display in a Dynon EFIS. It requires you to have a D-10A/100/180 EFIS connected to it and I do not believe it can be used as a general purpose ARINC to RS232 converter.

The Garmin 430 appears to only offer outputting its VOR/LOC/GS data via ARINC, and not by serial RS-232, hence the need to use an HS-34 to drive the HSI display in a Dynon EFIS.

The RV-8 in my avatar has a Garmin 430, Dynon D-100 and D-120, and HS-34 and also a TruTrak Digiflight II basic model A/P. When I was wiring up the panel, we researched what all features we could possibly have with this combination, and at the time all this stuff was purchased, only the TruTrak Sorcerer had the capability of tracking an ILS (by ILS, I'm meaning LOC + GS here) from the Garmin 430's output and the Sorcerer was just too expensive for the budget. So, we just settled for having the autopilot do the simple GPS Nav mode from the RS-232 serial output of the 430.

The HSI display on the D-100, when driven by the 430 thru the HS-34 looks very nice, however, and shows glideslope via a vertical bar of dots (like an LED bar graph) down the right side of the HSI display. Of course, I'm strictly a VFR-only pilot, so I never really use the HSI stuff, but the RV-8's owner is an instrument pilot, and has tested the HSI + GS on an ILS and says it's quite usable, though he has no desire to intentionally fly the -8 in weather... much rather prefers to fly his big pressurized twin Cessna for that :)

Last edited:
Why Not a Trutrak ADI?

I use this as a primary attitude instrument as well as for heading. If my TC pukes, it can be used as a backup for that as well. A backup battery is available. With the Gemini series not yet available, I think it's a great choice, especially with the equipment you already have.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I am fairly sure the aspen unit will fit into your panel. I have been using one in my -8 for serveral years. Good box.

Good Information!

Thank you for all the replies. I expect to make it to OSH for a few days and this is just what I needed... a head start on where to look first. I don't think the MGL unit will work because they displace the head to one side instead of centering it over the part going through the panel.

It seems there would be a good market for someone to be able to develop a converter to provide ARINC to RS-232. Maybe it hasn't been done because it isn't all that simple. I am sure Tru Trak would be happy to provide the converter - via their Sorcerer ;) ... but I don't see investing the money in a sorcerer either.

Thanks again!

Stewart

It seems there would be a good market for someone to be able to develop a converter to provide ARINC to RS-232.

DAC International makes one, but it's not "cheap".

Their DAC Model GDC34A can convert ARINC 429 to RS-232 "Aviation" format data stream. The prices on the webpage show it to be $1170 plus extra for the install kit.

http://www.dacint.com/DAC-international-models-focus.php?Model=GDC34

Some folks here on VAF who've reported experience with this particular converter in other threads are: Jason Smith @ Aerotronics and Walt Aronow @ ExpAircraft.com

Might also try contacting Lucas @ TruTrak to ask if he knows anything about using this converter with a 430's ARINC output and your particular autopilot.

Back