What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use Engine Hoist during main gear tire change?

BMW_X6M

I have to replace my main gear tires. I also want to send them to Antisplat for the wheel bearing upgrade, so I need both wheels off at the same time.

If I use a stand under the tail to secure it, can I then use an engine hoist to jack up from the engine lift point, to raise the airplane up off of the mains? I would then remove the wheels and set the gear legs back down on some wood.

I'd suggest using a strap around the engine mount for lifting.

Tearing a hunk of metal out of the top of the engine case would not be a good day.

Actually, I'd jack each wheel one at a time, remove, and set the axles on blocks. Not difficult, several techniques exist for this task.

Yep, the engine lift point was designed to handle the weight of the engine, not an entire airframe. The engine mount is a safe location for the hoist, but I also just jack up one side at a time and put a block under one axle.

Yep, the engine lift point was designed to handle the weight of the engine, not an entire airframe. The engine mount is a safe location for the hoist, but I also just jack up one side at a time and put a block under one axle.

Ive seen pics of a chunk of case hanging from a hoist, wish I could find it to share, but it would make you cry.
Tim

I wrap 2" wide strapping (like seat belt material) around the engine mount and lift by that.

As said before, do not use the engine hoist loop to lift the airplane.

OK, Point taken, engine lift point only for the weight of the engine. Makes total sense, thank you. Use straps around the engine mount only. Makes total sense, thank you. Glad I asked!

Weight?

Ive seen pics of a chunk of case hanging from a hoist, wish I could find it to share, but it would make you cry.
Tim
The engine with accessories is probably about 300-350 lbs, and the airframe with engine may be 1100 lbs, so it's easy to see the engine loop is not a good choice.

I lift the RV-6A with stand under tail, then place a 5gal plastic water jug on a heavy pad near the outboard wing main spar, remove the opposite wheel and block it. Then switch the water and repeat. (Using a towstrap to loop the engine mount near the brace connection to avoid it slipping.) Cherry picker to do the lift. This method also minimizes the total lifted weigh, with one main wheel/axle in contact and minimal clearance to remove each wheel. The airplane is not swinging freely.

I bought a motorcycle lift from HF. Cost about $80. I made a wood box to sit on top of it and it will jack my woole plane, all 3 wheels into the air. If made it easy to weigh and check tires. It is not stable enough to climb in the plane while in the air, but works well for most other things.

Back