What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O2 Install in RV-4 with or without remote

riobison

Well Known Member
I have started the install on a Medical O2 bottle on my RV4. It's going behind the rear seat, width wise and will be bolted to the floor with 2 brackets that are into 1 1/4" doublers on the bottom of the floor.

I will run the O2 lines out so I have outlets at the rear seat as well in the front seat. As there is not a lot of room in the RV4 I will have to turn in on before I fire up and turn it off when I land. As well, I won't be able to view pressure during the flight. I can watch my flow meter to verify that I have flow and make sure that I have sufficient O2 for the flight. My flights are maxed out to bladder endurance at 90 mins so running the bottle dry would not be a problem unless I develop a leak in flight.

The only real negative that I see is that I might have is not been able to turn it off in flight or in case of a fire. The risk is small but then again flying at altitude here in Western Canada without O2 for me is probably a greater risk.

Electronic and pneumatic remotes are options but right now money is an object in the downturn in the Oil Industry so for me that is out of the question. (Funny how that goes, when you have the money you don't have the time and when you have the time you don't have the money)

However, maybe an option is to put a 1/4 turn valve just off the regulator that I could rig to close remotely. This is not ideal, as it does not turn off the regulator and is on the low-pressure side. It may be better than nothing as it would keep the O2 out of the cockpit in an emergency for a short time.

Any suggestions on this setup or where I could purchase a low-pressure 1/4 turn valve for use with Oxygen?

Maybe I'm over complicating this and I should just put the bottle in, forget the remote and go fly?

Thanks in advance

Tim

I've put O2 in a couple of aircraft and found that being able to turn the bottle on/off and read the pressure during flight is very (very) handy. The solution I came up with in my last sailplane and my current Harmon Rocket is to lay the bottle lengthwise along one side of the baggage compartment and cut a small hole in the PAX seatback bulkhead for the top of the bottle (valve and gage) to protrude, You can put in a quick-fill valve here as well. This set-up allows you to reach back and turn the O2 on after takeoff (for when you forget to turn it on while on the ground); and read the amount of O2 remaining. Just my experience.

just my .02 (no pun intended, ok, maybe a little) but I would never install a O2 system that I could not turn off at the bottle in flight. just to big a risk. remember, an 02 leak coming in contact with grease or oil can be very dangerous even without a spark.

bob burns
N82RV RV-4

Depending on your configuration, why not mount it on the forward center tunnel, betweeen your legs. Valve and gauge would be just forward of the fuel selector and it's easy to connect your cannula.

I did this on my HR-2, but needed a C size tank, the D would interfere with my fuel selector.

the bottle was feeding a fire and needed to be shut off?

I had looked at that but I have my fuel gauges and fuel flow gauge there as well as the switch for the electric fuel pump. And the panel is full.

Yes to be able to turn it off in flight at the bottle is definitely a good idea. However, if you are using it in a RV 4 or an RV 8, or any tandem-seating configuration and the bottle is strapped into the back seat. It would be next to impossible to turn around in flight and shut it off.

Question, how many RV's or single engine aircraft have been in an emergency and the bottle was feeding a fire and needed to be shut off?

Number

Question, how many RV's or single engine aircraft have been in an emergency and the bottle was feeding a fire and needed to be shut off?

Even if the number above were zero that would be small consolation if it were to happen to you. A fire in an aircraft is never good. A fire in an aircraft fed by pressurized oxygen could make for a very bad day indeed.

reboot on the 12v air valve

Somehow the link goes to the German ebay and the article is no longer available.
Just go to Google search 12V air valves.

The vast majority of fires would occur in front of a person from an electrical problem or the engine compartment.

The bottle will be stored in the rear baggage area well away from that area. I can turn off the O2 with my flow meter or completely disconnect from the quick coupler mounted by my right elbow. This may not be perfect but it will work. Sure during the fire I could break a line before the flow meter or the disconnect but then again putting another valve in after the regulator does not isolate bottle.

The fuel lines with the fuel selector after the tanks and between my legs is a concern as well. Nothing is perfect, we just do what we can to mitigate the risks.

I will try and find a reasonably priced solenoid valve to stick in after the regulator. If not then back to plan A.

Tim

XCR remote switch

Mountain High makes a remote On/off switch attached to a flow meter and in/out air lines with their XCR portable unit, that you wear on your arm/leg with straps, while mounting your cylinder out of arms reach. You should be able to buy that component alone. I am thinking about that for my RV4 presently because of the mounting limitations. You still need to open the regulator before flight (and close it after flight) but it conserves oxygen until ready for use, thus increasing time between refills. It came from the glider world I've heard.

I'm almost finished my install. I've set it up so that I will have to turn the bottle on from the baggage compartment before the flight. Not really a big deal. I have a block with the feed going into it and the hoses for both my passenger and myself coming out on the bottom. That is mounted up in the front inside the sill on the right side. I plug my hoses into the quick connect to start the flow and push the quick release when I'm done.

If there is a fire then I hit the disconnect button to pop the hose's out. Worse case is if there were flames that far back that they have melted the lines and the O2 is feeding a fire then my gig would probably be over anyway.

Tim

Back