What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Quick question to you all.

I'm wanting to debur selected parts using a commercial linishing machine. I'm having made custom silicon carbide belts but need advice on which grit to use. I'm considering using 400 grit. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

If you're thinking of the edges, then something like 320 or so would do. (think 400 is fine too) We don't want to remove material here, just enough to smooth the edges. Something a file and a 3M maroon pad can do well. Although, I will admit that I do use my 3M Scotchbrite wheel a lot.

Last edited:
Vixen file

Why all the trouble? Just get a scotchbrite wheel!

+1 on the scotch brite wheel but I actually prefer a vixen file for straight edges like skins. I just have the hebbee jeebees about an edge catching on my wheel. :D

Break it down first

I like to use a flat file and break the edges first afterwhich I use my Scothwheel in my Drill press. Really nice to get edges smooth especially at the rudder brake pedals where clothes can get snagged and torn.

To answer the OP's question,
If I had a Burr King or similar industrial finishing machine, I would set it up with the scotch bright or similar polishing belts. If you set it up with 400 grit I would be very careful and insure not to dwell on any edge. You are passing a lot of aggregate past the piece in a hurry.
Prior to polishing edges, I take a vixen file perpendicular to the sheet and knock down the tooling marks. On thicker sheet, I will make a pass on the edge as well.
I would love to own a Burr King. It will not help you with the big sheets like wing skins however unless you have a helper.

+1 on the scotchbrite belt. I use this far more than the wheel now, better control and more even results.

Back