What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new engine worth taking a look-see

ajay

katech v4.
160hp. 140 lbs.
draws on the LS series v8 design.
very compact architecture, 4 cylinder, aluminum block, heads, and pistons, pushrod, liquid cooled

160HP @ 6,600 RPM though, so some of those weight savings will be taken up with a reduction drive.

At a guess, that 140lb, though listed as dry weight, wouldn't include the oil cooler or radiator either. It looks to be just the bare engine.

Still, that looks to be worth keeping an eye on depending where they set the initial price.

They don't have the slightest hint of aerospace applications. This engine would be an automotive adaptation by you, rather than an installation of an engine intended for aircraft.

Dave

160HP @ 6,600 RPM though, so some of those weight savings will be taken up with a reduction drive.

At a guess, that 140lb, though listed as dry weight, wouldn't include the oil cooler or radiator either. It looks to be just the bare engine.

Still, that looks to be worth keeping an eye on depending where they set the initial price.

Just design a prop that is efficient at 6,600rpm!:D

Any savings on an engine will be lost 5 times over when the installer of any auto-conversion comes around to selling his RV.
Most RV buyers wont entertain the thought of an auto-conversion engine (they have a terrible reputation...and for very good reasons) so that really depresses resale values.

Honestly, every flying RV builder I've ever met with an auto-conversion tells me the same story....they wouldn't do it again. ;)

Yep...so true.

Just yesterday, my buddy said that the Subie take-out sitting on his hangar floor has to go..around $1,500 for a 4 cyl. Egg engine out of my friends -7, with only 200 hours on it!:eek:

Best,

Yep...so true.

Just yesterday, my buddy said that the Subie take-out sitting on his hangar floor has to go..around $1,500 for a 4 cyl. Egg engine out of my friends -7, with only 200 hours on it!:eek:

Best,

That's the best part of having a Subie, I can replace it for 1500 dollars. Mine has 515 hours and has been very satisfactory. Looking forward to another 1000 hours or so and then a 1500 dollar rebuild.

-Andy

367 mph "motorcycle"

Here is another high reving high HP V4 motorcycle engine for you gearheads to drool over.
drool5.gif

http://seven-streamliner.com/engine/index.html

And probably even less suited for aircraft conversion than the one above-----but hey, this is what Experimental Aviation is all about aint it?

Back