What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Protecting Interior Paint

PilotjohnS

Well Known Member
Seeking advice from those who have gone before.

I plan to paint the interior pieces as I build. But how to I protect those pieces during the rest of the build. I plan to use Jet Flex , so it is pretty durable and supposably there is touch up paint available.

I build out everything, take it all out, paint what I can outside the plane, paint the rest as is in the plane, then reassemble.

The planes I?ve seen with the interior painted along the way all looked worse for wear.

Carl

Paint

I build out everything, take it all out, paint what I can outside the plane, paint the rest as is in the plane, then reassemble.

The planes I?ve seen with the interior painted along the way all looked worse for wear.

Carl

Basically what I did. Everything painted before assembly. Rivets show. Jet Flex Solvent Based.
I do have a couple scratches to touch up but so far it's pretty tough.
Not much help if it's already assembled.

Seeking advice from those who have gone before.

I plan to paint the interior pieces as I build. But how to I protect those pieces during the rest of the build. I plan to use Jet Flex , so it is pretty durable and supposably there is touch up paint available.

If it's JetFlex WR it will touch up well with simply an airbrush or small touchup HVLP sprayer. Just use your original paint.

The flat finish helps make the touched up edges disappear.

Masking tape .. probably the #1 consumable we've used. We have it over all the traffic areas. Still have some scratches (from the canopy hitting the roll bar) but overall it's worked great.

Jetflex WR

I'd second Gil's comments about Jetflex WR. Surprisingly durable and easy to touch up, especially with the flattener added. Even so, it's probably a good idea to protect the high traffic areas with tape, I do have a few scuffs and scratches on the door sills etc that I never got around to fixing after getting the plane flying. Amazing how priorities change after the fun really starts!

I didn't really have any issues with the JetFlex WR durability during the build process. I painted the interior pieces before assembly. The only advice I can give is let the JetFlex set up for 24-48 hours before you rivet any parts together. After it completely cures/dries, it is very durable.

Thanks for the responses

I have been agonizing over this for weeks. My wife said ?Dont worry about it, you wont see it from an airplane.? I said, ? Yes i will see it from an airplane?.

This morning I had decided to paint efore assembly, hence the reason I asked the question. But now I know it is going to get scuffed up. I think I will take Carl?s advice and paint after assembly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back