What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you use the Bluetooth function of your headset? If so how?

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I'm trading in an old set of Zulu 1 for the new Zulu 3 headset. I never used the function of the Bluetooth in the old ones but I'm wondering if there is some benefit in starting to use it in the new ones?

Just wondering if others are using the Bluetooth function and how they are using it?

TIA
Gary

We love our Zulu II's but we never use the bluetooth because we power them with AA batteries and my experience is that using bluetooth runs down the batteries quite a bit faster.

I connect my iPhone to make phone calls, such as to clearance delivery (I?m at a non-towered airport) or calling home. I can also play music from my music library. I get audio warnings from ForeFlight or anything else running on my iPhone or my iPad.

I'm trading in an old set of Zulu 1 for the new Zulu 3 headset. I never used the function of the Bluetooth in the old ones but I'm wondering if there is some benefit in starting to use it in the new ones?

Just wondering if others are using the Bluetooth function and how they are using it?

TIA
Gary

Yep. Routinely get my IFR clearance going out of VA42 using my phone to the Lightspeed headset via Bluetooth.

Carl

Just today, connected my Zulu 2 to my iPhone prior to start, called Potomac for my SFRA code, hung up and started some tunes from a cache on my RadioParadise App for the short 15 minute flight home. I LOVE that bluetooth functionality.

I use my A20's on panel power, so the Bluetooth power budget is a non-issue. Phone calls and texting, and music inflight when not in a high workload environment.

Never - becasue all of our audio panels have Bluetooth built in. But I would hate to be without the BT functions, so if your audio panel doesn’t have it, I’d definitely want it!

I use the BT feature of my A20 frequently to link to my iPhone. Once you make the initial pairing it is just a matter of flipping the switch on the A20 controller and it connects instantly. The quality of sound is excellent and very readable over the engine noise.

Count me as another who routinely uses BT to connect my phone to my A20 in order to get IFR clearances on the ground.

I have the older A20 so it doesn't do BT music, but if it did I'd use it for that too. I like to listen to music enroute and find it doesn't interfere with IFR communications at all. Right now I use a patch cord for music. We don't use the audio panel for that as everyone likes to listen to their own playlist to everyone uses patch cord to listen to their own individual devices. I looked up at updating our A20s to get BT music but in the end decided not to foot the bill.

Last edited:
No, I have Bluetooth in my audio panel. Although, I have thought about upgrading just my headset to Bluetooth. While PSE states that my 8000BT can support two sources, I've only been able to get it to work with one.

I would like to support both my iPhone and audio source (iPad) at same time.

I getphone calls when I am under 3000’agl. The caller has no idea that I am in the airplane. The downside is that when I am low to the ground I am usually landing or departing and then ignore or cancel the call. I have called out a few times and it has been useful. Personally I find music to be distracting while flying. Even cruising at altitude my mind is busy searching for alternates, weather etc

Just today, connected my Zulu 2 to my iPhone prior to start, called Potomac for my SFRA code, hung up and started some tunes from a cache on my RadioParadise App for the short 15 minute flight home. I LOVE that bluetooth functionality.

I can hear callers on my Zulu but they can never hear me. Is there something special you have to do set up the call feature or just standard Bluetooth connection? When I talk I can?t hear myself in the ear muffs.

I'd recommend getting the Bluetooth, but ordering the headset with a LEMO jack and powering it from the airplane rather than using AA batteries.

TIA
Gary

Use BT on my zulu3 to my iPad mini for foreflight alerts and music. Wife uses Sierras to her phone for music and watching videos. Both AAs. Over 35 hours on this set of batteries and going strong. Keep a spare set in my flight bag.

Back