What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automatic Pitch Trim and VPX

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello

Time to upgrade my TruTrack AP equiped RV-7A with an Automatic Pitch Trim module.

One big question ... does it work in with a VPX?

Because the unit gets joined between the VPX and trim servo, the VPX will see some signal/triggers on the output ...

Schematics here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2151/0625/files/Automatic_Trim_Installation_Guide_Rev_J.pdf?12227451448760409847

So far I did not got any answer from Vertical Power support ... Hope Chad is reading this.

Thanks for any information ... maybe you are running it allready on your plane.

Hello

Time to upgrade my TruTrack AP equiped RV-7A with an Automatic Pitch Trim module.

One big question ... does it work in with a VPX?

Because the unit gets joined between the VPX and trim servo, the VPX will see some signal/triggers on the output ...

Schematics here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2151/0625/files/Automatic_Trim_Installation_Guide_Rev_J.pdf?12227451448760409847

So far I did not got any answer from Vertical Power support ... Hope Chad is reading this.

Thanks for any information ... maybe you are running it allready on your plane.

It works just fine. I've been flying with both for five years.

Wire it like it states in the Vertical Power install manual (5.19c) and the Trutrak install manual you'll be fine. The VP manual only shows the connections unique to it.

Hello Bob

Thank you!

Ok, my fault not looking into the actual VP manual ... just was reading the TruTrack manual and my "old" VP manual ...

BR

The TruTrak module disconnects the wires coming from the VPX when the auto pilot engages and runs he trim by itself. The VPX doesn?t know the difference.

Yes, the autotrim module works great with a VP-X. You'll have to dial in the setting using the adjustment knob-on the autotrim box, so be sure you have some access to it while flying.

Adjustment only once?

Hello Trevor

Do I have to adjust this only once after installation ...

Or from time to time ...

Or during every flight?

Good Question

Hello Trevor

Or from time to time ...

Or during every flight?

Great question.......I want to install auto trim in my RV-6 and the Auto trim info says to place it close to the servo, which is behind the baggage bulkhead, which is normally only seen during CI's.

Great question.......I want to install auto trim in my RV-6 and the Auto trim info says to place it close to the servo, which is behind the baggage bulkhead, which is normally only seen during CI's.

Yes, it's just adjusted once. Mine sits adjacent to the pitch servo in the empennage of the RV-10

I only had to adjust mine on the first flight after installing the auto-trim box and haven't touched it in 3 years.

Back