What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Length

txaviator

Well Known Member
Can someone please provide a rough length measurement of the fuselage on an RV-7? As it would sit during the main construction phase (without engine mount, etc.) I couldn't locate this measurement on Van's site? I am not yet to that point, but just making sure it will fit in my workshop before I get to that point. Thanks in advance!

:eek: :confused:

Gary Robertson
TxAviator

fuselage lenght

I went out to the workshop and measured my new RV7 QB and the length is 14 feet 6.5 inches.

Tom Lewis

Work, Shop Space

22"x 10" shop will work.That will get your engine/ rudder on.,.
You will need to put the tools somewhere else, drill press, sander, bandsaw, cutoff saw,grinder, 3M buffer, ect. use the other side of the two car garage?
To fit the wings you need about 24 " wide.

Shop space to build an RV7 or RV9.

Gary,

If you haven't looked at my place on the web, you can see how I am doing with my RV-9A after 1500 hours of construction. My arrangement of wheels on the work table, wing storage frame, and the table with the drill press, bench grinder, band saw and vice works for me. The fuselage is on the wheels and the engine is installed. When it got tall on the wheels, the vertical stabilizer no longer goes on since it would hit the ceiling in the garage. I can put the horizontal stabilizer on by rolling the drill press table out of the way. I can walk all around the airplane without doing any unusual postures, except when I have the horizontal stabilizer in place. The last time I did that was when I mounted the Dynon remote magnetic sensor in the tail area in front of the horizontal stabilizer location.

You can see it all at www.n2prise.org with plenty of visual details after I got my digital camera. The empennage is not documented very well, but everything after that is well covered in pictures and text.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV 90622
N2PZ "Enterprise"

Last edited:
landing gear width

On a similar vein, can someone tell me the width of the landing gear on an RV7? I'm fine with the fuselage length but bit concerned about the width of the shop and especially the width of the doors. Just trying to determine if I need to scrap the existing workshop and build another one before I order the kit. Have a feeling it's going to get very cramped in there!!

Thanks

Back