What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To IPad or no IPad?

patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm wondering what the latest views are for using a tablet computer in the panel of an RV? Much of what I've read here talks of issues with them (hard to see screens, self turn offs in flight).

I have a Dynon 10" and a Garmin 660 already to install next week, but wonder if others would still opt for a tablet?
Thanks

We use iPads in our multi-airplane, multi-pilot family to keep the costs of charts down, but we don't panel mount them - they live on kneeboard or in a footwell for reference when needed. The advantage to not mounting them is that if you have objectionable glare, you can just re-orient them.

We have a combination of sizes that gives its something to work with in every airplane.

Paul

I’m with Paul, but going smaller these days....

Lately I’ve been leaving my iPad in the backpack as a spare and have been using my iPhone 11 as my primary EFB (recently replaced a 5-yr old iPhone 6). It’s FAAAASSSSTTTTT and easily holds two complete sets of approach charts for all of North America (paid Garmin Pilot and free FltPlan Go as a backup).

I have a clamp mount for the RV, and on side jobs I use a kneeboard with a micro fiber cloth clamped on it - rest the phone on the cloth and it doesn’t slide. It works swimmingly, doesn’t take up any room wider than my thigh, and if I want to pick up the phone to take a pic it's no bother.

‘Device creep’ is a thing I seem to suffer from. Every few months I look in the bag and discover more cables and chargers and devices have taken up residence. Moving most things (EFB, camera, music, avionics manuals, study guides, etc) down to a single device that stays with me is quite refreshing.

Being able to slide it in the pocket when you’re off to the restaurant to plan the next leg is more and more important to me. Less stuff to carry = more smile.
It's not lost on me that in a world of bigger and wider screens I seem to be going the other way <grin>. I like it.

My .02 as Stein says…

v/r,dr​

PS: RAV Power RP-PB092 2500mAh power bank on the cockpit floor for days of phone/iPad/laptop power (and a backup flashlight).​

IMG_1265-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I went with an Android pad, because of the requirement to get a cell capable iPad in order to get a gps chip (even though activation not required); just something that irritated me about apple. I run Garmin pilot. Panel mount on my 8, under the glare shield with a slight tilt down, no overheat issues. I am going to go back to the 696 though. I wanted moving map, adsb, flight plan in and out (flight stream 510, 635, and 345). So the pad worked. However, like the iPad at my other two jobs (one foreflight, one jepp pro), the Android is not 100%. Occasionally, like the iPads, it has a hiccup and never at the right time. The 696 while much older is designed exclusively for aviation and I never had issues with it before (even with an old database), it always worked. With a gdl 39 I can get adsb in and also squirt my flight plan from my 635, didn't realize this until recently. So the only thing I'll loose is being able to go from 696 (replace pad) to gtn. However, almost always I go from the pad to the gtn on start up only from preflight planning; I'll still have the pad in the cockpit probably on my knee so I can do this. Anyways, long story short is I quickly got tired of the pad as a primary reference for moving map and adsb and am going back to a 696.

We use iPads in our multi-airplane, multi-pilot family to keep the costs of charts down, but we don't panel mount them - they live on kneeboard or in a footwell for reference when needed. The advantage to not mounting them is that if you have objectionable glare, you can just re-orient them.

We have a combination of sizes that gives its something to work with in every airplane.

Paul

Like Paul, I've used iPads in a few aircraft. I had a panel-mounted (AirGizmos) iPad mini in a Glasair III, and have used the iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro in my RV-6. Foreflight is my primary app, though we use Jepp FD Pro at work. Lots of great charting and EFB apps to work with...very useful IMHO.

Via work, was introduced to the Pivot mount, which works great in any cockpit. Check it out here.

Cheers,
Bob

If you can deal with something just a little less fancy than an iPad running Foreflight, there's an Android tablet out there designed for warehousers and delivery drivers. It has a true 1,000 nit screen and comes with LTE capability and built in GPS.

I have Avare running on it (a free, open source EFB). And, it works really well. This is what I plan on using on my kneeboard as a backup to Skyview/FlyQ set up on my RV-8. I really didn't want to even try reading approach plates on Skyview. With the tablet running Avare, its more like the paper charts of old.

https://www.xenarc.com/RT71-industr...dLjgcTTMYIRkinonNVu5SU3GzWE36lUoaAqNOEALw_wcB

I'm wondering what the latest views are for using a tablet computer in the panel of an RV? Much of what I've read here talks of issues with them (hard to see screens, self turn offs in flight).

I have a Dynon 10" and a Garmin 660 already to install next week, but wonder if others would still opt for a tablet?
Thanks

My standard answer:
- For VFR do whatever you want.
- For IFR the iPad is a good flight planning tool and a third backup. It does not earn a spot on the panel. Reason, if not there you will not become dependent on it. Save your pennies for a second real EFIS display.

Carl

I use an ipad with my GRT and Garmin EFIS setups. I find two sources to be a large advantage. I like using the ipad for plates. Leaves me EFIS to always display a map with wx and traffic along with my track and waypoints. I also find FF does better with various types of information access. It also means I don't need to pay for the more expensive subscriptions on the EFIS units. I need wx and flight planning access outside the plane, so I am already needing to pay for the FF subscription.

I have a panel mount for the Ipad.

Larry

Not in the panel...

I would absolutely get an Ipad. ADS-B situational awareness and efis backup is worth every penny. Personally, I would not get an in panel docking mount for any particular ipad or tablet. It will be obsolete or quit working in a few years and the next one you get will be a slightly different size and possibly a different connection for the power supply. Find a place you can put a Ram Mount that could hold a variety of tablets. Put a power source close to it...

my 2 cents...

What Android device do you use? I have about 40 flights now with Garmin Pilot on my Samsung S10+, perfect function so far. (I have it on a RAM mount on the panel, easy to tilt if the sun/reflection is at a bad angle)

S10 I think, got the latest one 6 months ago, don't remember. I have an Asus too, and also a one plus phone; all ocasionally have a hiccup. They aren't meant to run 24/7/365. It doesn't always fail. But sometimes doesn't download (leave it in the hangar with a router there), needs an update or something, maybe hangs up for some odd reason; similar issues as iPads. Sometimes Android or apple will be in conflict with the aviation software and require a patch. I will always use it and keep it in the cockpit, just want something that is 100% even if not updated or bothered by some other process not related to flying.

I would absolutely get an Ipad. ADS-B situational awareness and efis backup is worth every penny. Personally, I would not get an in panel docking mount for any particular ipad or tablet. It will be obsolete or quit working in a few years and the next one you get will be a slightly different size and possibly a different connection for the power supply. Find a place you can put a Ram Mount that could hold a variety of tablets. Put a power source close to it...

my 2 cents...

Exactly my thoughts. Have an iPad on board but not in the panel. I like it as an old fashioned kneeboard.

+1 on the Mini 5th generation

I recently upgraded from a Mini 3 to a Mini 5. The Mini 5 is a MAJOR improvement from the 3 in all the categories you mention. It's also more stable with Foreflight; the Mini 3 would occasionally just urp while running Foreflight for no known reason.

I now have the latest version, the iPad Mini 5, and it is the best in terms of processing speed, memory, and screen readability.

Back