What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SV 12.0 auto-trim for auto-pilot

Top Cat

Well Known Member
I just downloaded SV 12.0 from the Vans site along with several.dfg files to provide settings for auto-pilot, ADS-B, GTR200 radio etc

I flew the SLSA immediately after uploading the files to Skyview. In the air with a/p engaged I didn't notice any difference with trim required by the a/p. I have both the SV-AP-Panel as well as the Knobs Panel.

I selected the 12-APCMPLX-PRE-SETS-02-02-15.dfg as directed by Vans instructions.

I'm just wondering if I've missed something since the Vans files usually work fine.

I have contacted Vans but no response as yet.

Thanks for any help!:confused:

If you go into pitch setup for the AP, the bottom line is "auto trim enabled". Is this set to YES, or is it set to NO or warning you it's not configured?

If you go into pitch setup for the AP, the bottom line is "auto trim enabled". Is this set to YES, or is it set to NO or warning you it's not configured?

I honestly don't know. However, I thought the point of uploading the settings file was to set things like 'enable'?

I can take a look next time I'm at the airplane. Since its an SLSA though am I authorized to make such changes?

I don't know that we've reviewed the release file that Vans created, so I can't answer that right now. Just trying to help on a weekend. When we get back on Monday we can talk to Vans and see what they included in the file and what they didn't and get you some better answers.

This is what is in Vans' Read Me file:-

Autopilot:
Two separate autopilot setup files have been made available one for simplified mode and the other for complex mode.

NOTE: Both autopilot files will overwrite autopilot settings (sensitivity, rates, gain values etc..) and set them back to the factory default.
The complex settings file also includes the setup for auto trim capability added with the addition of the SV-AP-PANEL module.

NOTE: If the optional SV-AP-PANEL and SV-KNOBS-PANEL modules are installed you must be operating in and install the complex mode settings.

Step 6: Load 12-APCMPLX-PRE-SETS-MM-DD-YY.dfg to set the display up for operation in complex mode.

Load 12-APSIMP-PRE-SETS-MM-DD-YY.dfg to set the display up for operation in simplified mode.

This is what the 12-APCMPLX-PRE-SETS-02-02-15.dfg file has on it:-

disconnect_hold_to_engage=1
disconnect_resistor=1
roll_servo_torque=100
pitch_servo_torque=100
roll_servo_sensitivity=22
pitch_servo_sensitivity=24
bank_limit=30
turn_rate_limit=1.5
airspeed_min=38.5833
airspeed_max=66.3633
vspeed_climb=2.54
vspeed_descend=2.54
kff_gain=3
az_gain=1
kalt_gain=0.9
kvsi_gain=1
az_err_gain=1
az_err_limit=0.25
K_phi_ff_gain=2.9
ap_ui_mode=AP_UI_EXPERT
trim_motor_1_quick_speed=100
trim_motor_1_slow_speed=28
trim_motor_1_aspeed_low=50
trim_motor_1_aspeed_high=120

I had some difficulty downloading the .dfg files on my Mac. However, using an old PC laptop I was able to download them to the Dynon USB that came with the airplane. All the .dfg files were uploaded after the SV 12.0 was loaded.

I loaded the Complex file as directed since I have the Dynon SV-AP-Panel as well as the Knobs Panel.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me on a weekend!

Last edited:
Back