What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Line Bubbles

Tom - -

As I recall, I used a 1/8" pipe thread, 90 degree hose barb elbow. Push a plastic hose over it and run it into a clean container. You can keep the flow going while getting the air out. If you have say 2 quarts in your pressure ( sprayer ) bottle, you can work on the bubbles a long time before running out of fluid. Flow I think is the main issue. I was not aware Don had a brake lock in his system. That adds another thing to think about. The time I had problems made me take a different direction, and the pressure feed was simple, cheap, and works.

John, is that a cap, or a plug? I'm not a home, but I thought that that I would pick up a pressure sprayer and material to make the fluid reclaim fitting. I couldn't tell from the prints, but as I recall, it's a plug.

Thanks, Tom

The cap is 1/8 NPT, what I used was a 90 degree fitting, 1/8 NPT on one end, and hose barb on the other. Hook on a hose and put it into whatever is handy for you to capture the fluid in.

I really like the idea of pressure bleeding the system. I would like to make an overflow collection container by temporarily adding a return line to the reservoir. It's just a matter of adding a fitting to a cap that would screw on the top of the reservoir. Can anyone provide the size, and thread of that cap? With that, and a good flow from the bottom up, I am hopeful of eliminating all of the air bubbles.

Tom

Thanks. Sounds like I need a male pipe thread fitting, and not female. I'll post the results............Tom

I also used a fitting with a hose barb and continued until all bubbles were gone. For filling I only used a syringe and a piece of tube. I had to refill the syringe a couple off times. After refilling tap the syringe so that the air on that side collects in the syringe.

(the mess is from the cup tipping over, nasty stuff ;-) )

IMG_5936.JPG

IMG_5935.JPG

Well I think I finally got rid of the bubbles! drained the system, power flushed with the garden sprayer, still bubbles! I finally pulled on the parking brake to keep them up front, then worked the bubbles around to fittings on the master cyls, cracked the fittings under foot pressure and finally actually SAW air bubbles come out of the pilot side left brake. So far I cannot see any bubbles, cycled the parking brake and pumped brakes, so far so good.

Back