What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building without the PRP-26A POP Riveter

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
Has anyone built an RV-12 without using the recommended USM Corp. PRP-26A hand riveter? Stanley Tools recently bought the design and the price jumped from $65.00 to $169.00!

I notice Cleaveland now includes a basic $31.00 PowerFast Swivel Head hand riveter in their RV-12 kit instead of the PRP-26A. Perhaps builders have found that if you use the AEX wedge or something similar, you don't really need the PRP-26A tight space riveter?

Thanks!

The AEX wedges help, but there are lots of places where the small size of the PRP-26A is a real benefit. Not saying that other riveters couldn't do the job, but I found the PRP-26 to be a very useful tool.

I found that whenever the Cleaveland swivel head riveter wouldn't work well, that an old, slightly narrower, Stanley puller from the toolbox worked fine. Don't pay big bucks for anything special for that. They are just pull rivets. Check out the cheaper choices at your local hardware store.

and, fwiw,
i picked up a hand riveter of a brand name [blue, aluminum body] and didn't feel bad filing and removing metal from the end of the tool to get in much closer.
also found that drilling a small hole thru 3/8'' round stock, 5/16'' long can be put over the rivet mandrel before the puller and that lets you get a little closer yet. and when you bend the mandrel a bit......you are almost always there.

I modified the nosepiece on two $8 Northern Tool riveters with an angle grind about the same as the AEX wedge. One is for left angles and the other for right angles. Insert the rivet, slide the tool down the shank and bend the shank with the tool until the nose angle is parallel to the rivet head plane and pull. I also ground away some of the frame for additional clearance. The idea came from a EAA Hints for Homebuilders video.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=60653678001

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Back