What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Injected Rotax

johnr9q

I understand that Van's doesn't support the Fuel Injected Rotax. Is one of the reasons for this, Fuel Injection is more complicated than the carbureted engine and therefore more potential for failure. I know Fuel Injection requires electronics and a high pressure pump that isn't needed with a carburetor. My experience with carburetors is as long as you have suction from the pistons pulling in air, ie. the engine is running, they operate. I'm all for keeping things as simple as possible.

Make a float that floats.

I agree I like things simple.

I am not too sure that carbureted is that simple.

You would think it would be easy to make a float that floats.

No gasoline engine can run without electric, that's why we use two electric spark systems.

I think the jury is still out.

I think I would prefer fuel injection.

MY View

Joe D

I understand that Van's doesn't support the Fuel Injected Rotax. Is one of the reasons for this, Fuel Injection is more complicated than the carbureted engine and therefore more potential for failure. I know Fuel Injection requires electronics and a high pressure pump that isn't needed with a carburetor. My experience with carburetors is as long as you have suction from the pistons pulling in air, ie. the engine is running, they operate. I'm all for keeping things as simple as possible.

Build what you want

Mark

I agree that van does not support fuel injection at this time, and may never support it for the 12.

This is why I am building EAB and will make this decision when I decide what engine and whether or not it will be fuel injected.

By the way ROTAX thinks that fuel injection is a good idea.

There are a lot of decisions to make in life, make the ones you want.

Joe D

Seems like if the Fuel Injected engine burns less fuel, it could carry less fuel and easily make up for the add'l weight of the engine. I know the engine weight is up front and the fuel weight is in the middle but I am sure that could be figured out.

Seems like if the Fuel Injected engine burns less fuel, it could carry less fuel and easily make up for the add'l weight of the engine. I know the engine weight is up front and the fuel weight is in the middle but I am sure that could be figured out.

Vans has accumulated enough experience over 6 years of RV-12 production that they should be in a position to figure this out, as you say. Indeed, it is time at VANs to think of an RV-12.2 that will include the 912si and much, much more: it's all on VAF, they just have to pick & chose!

Or maybe???

Almost the same wing and emph with a whole new 'svelt' fuselage that could use either the newest Rotax of the newest Lycoming. Tail wheel version for you 'real pilots'. Maybe fuel in the wings? Make mine all DYNON please.

Call it the RV-13. I'm not afraid. Numbers only mean something when you don't have enough such as altitude or airspeed, etc.

Almost the same wing and emph with a whole new 'svelt' fuselage that could use either the newest Rotax of the newest Lycoming. Tail wheel version for you 'real pilots'. Maybe fuel in the wings? Make mine all DYNON please.

Call it the RV-13. I'm not afraid. Numbers only mean something when you don't have enough such as altitude or airspeed, etc.

Also have a option for a parachute and support a UL Power engine

May be VANs could avoid the burden of multiple E-LSA certifications by supporting a few engines only as E-AB kits, reserving the E-LSA certification to one engine (possibly two when a convincing alternative emerges in the LSA market).
Although E-AB is the present situation for builders who install non Rotax engines, this would help builders for the FWF kit. This would not be much different from what VANs is doing for all their other kits and would probably have a beneficial impact on the resale value of non-Rotax RV-12s.

Back