What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical system

tomkk

Well Known Member
I'm still having trouble with my electrical system (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=122982). Based on what I see, I'm led to believe I have a defective Switch & Fuse module.

Anyway, I'm still trying to identify all the symptoms and I'm wondering about the switch lights. Only the lights on my Ignition A and Ignition B light, none of the others do, INCLUDING THE MASTER. Are they all supposed to light when the switch is activated?

Looking at the Switch & Fuse module section of the schematics, I see two OPTIONAL panel lighting LEDs that appear to not be populated on my module. Anyone know what that is?

Last edited:
Thanks. Do the lights on the switches illuminate?

From the schematic, I'm not sure how the Switch & Fuse module would affect the illumination of the Master switch light.

Also, still don't know about the "Optional panel lighting LEDs" the schematic refers to in two places.

Tom,

To answer your LED switch light question ? under normal circumstances turning on the switch should light the LED light. HOWEVER this requires BOTH power and ground circuits to be complete.

Within the switches, the LED light is in series with a resistor ? the LED gets its power from one lead on the switch and the internal resistor is connected to another lead on the switch that will provide a ground path for the LED. This can either be a direct connection to ground or through a variable resistance to adjust the brilliance of the LED's.

Bottom line ... The wiring needs to be complete ? power applied to the switch and a complete ground path for the LED. Often times we tend to only look for applied power but the ground path is equally important.

(The rocker switches used by Van?s on the RV-12 are manufactured by Otto and are K1 and K2 styles. Complete info on the switches is available at their WEB site).

Have not installed the switches yet so can't answer your master switch question with any certainty. However, if the switches have LED's in it them the above will still apply.

Happy building,

The switches do not light up due to the defective AV-50001 fuse and switch module.
My interpretation of Van's schematics is that earlier versions of the AV-50000A used Skyview negative PWM to control switch brightness. Later versions use the Skyview brightness signal as a reference, but the actual negative PWM for switch LEDs comes from the AV-50000A R2 logic board.
Do not be concerned about switch lights until the AV-50001 is repaired and the Skyview is turned on.

Thanks. Do the lights on the switches illuminate?

From the schematic, I'm not sure how the Switch & Fuse module would affect the illumination of the Master switch light.

Also, still don't know about the "Optional panel lighting LEDs" the schematic refers to in two places.

The Optional LED positions you see are unused locations that got designed into the PCB for possible future use, but that have never been utilized. None of the AV-50001's built have anything installed at those locations.
As Joe mentioned, the switch LED's are controlled by the internal dimmer of SV-1000 screen so they wont work correctly until it boots up.

What has Van's tech support requested as far as troubleshooting? Have you done those steps and responded back to them?

There has now been 350+ Skyview avionics kits delivered to builders and there has been very few problems that have been eventually traced back to an issue with one of the modules. The problem discovered by KALEWIS was the only instance of that type of issue. My point in saying that; is don't get overly focused on the problem being one of the AV-XXXXX units. I am not saying it is not possible.... just that it rarely is.

The Optional LED positions you see are unused locations that got designed into the PCB for possible future use, but that have never been utilized. None of the AV-50001's built have anything installed at those locations.
As Joe mentioned, the switch LED's are controlled by the internal dimmer of SV-1000 screen so they wont work correctly until it boots up.

What has Van's tech support requested as far as troubleshooting? Have you done those steps and responded back to them?

There has now been 350+ Skyview avionics kits delivered to builders and there has been very few problems that have been eventually traced back to an issue with one of the modules. The problem discovered by KALEWIS was the only instance of that type of issue. My point in saying that; is don't get overly focused on the problem being one of the AV-XXXXX units. I am not saying it is not possible.... just that it rarely is.

Thanks (to Joe also), I didn't know the illumination was controlled by the D-1000. It makes sense now since the D-1000 isn't getting any power.

I'll PM you shortly about Tech Support.

Thanks for the info.

Back