What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail kit

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Got a reply from Gus Funnell last week saying that they have been making detail changes to the design of the tail which will improve the flying characteristics and ease of build, good news. Now the bad news he's guessing a May/June shipping date. I sent him an e-mail asking if I could post his answer here and did not get a reply so I'm taking that as a yes.

How does the RV-14 wing kit compare to the others you've built?

Scott,

Since you're a repeat and adept builder, I'm curious about you're thoughts on the RV-14 wing kit. Do you like the new instruction format? Do you think the kit goes together more quickly because of manufacturing technique improvements? Do have a list of likes and dislikes?

Any insight is much appreciated,

Greg

I did not see much difference in building the 14 wings compared to the 10. There are a few differences, some skins are pre-punched to final size saving a little time deburring. A few things are done differently, no biggy.
I think if Van's wasn't using RV-10 parts already designed and built that they would have more of the parts pre-punched to final size. I'm expecting the next kits to be that way.

RV10vs RV14

RonB,
I see you have a flying RV10 and are building an RV14; you seem well qualified to give an opinion. It seems all the RV kits are right around 2000 hours to build, whether it is an RV10, RV9 or RV7. With your experience so far on the RV14, do you think the RV14's build time will be significantly less than the RV10? I am still trying to decide between 4 and 2 seats. I am hoping a quicker to air RV14 will be a difference.

With only the wing kit out and this kit very similiar to the RV-10 wing kit I see no difference yet. I do expect quite a difference with the remainder of the kit. The wiring harness in the RV-14 wing is almost complete from Van's that we had to make for the 10. When I say almost complete , for my application I'm installing the Dynon AOA heated pitot , so no wiring provisions are made for this and the AOA line needs to be added.
I feel the wiring itself will be much easier and quicker with the RV-14. Wiring is time consuming.

Back