What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Pics from OSH

KCBerner

Well Known Member
Unfortunately I'm not going to make OSH this year (baby due in a few weeks). Can someone get some pictures of the -14 that show the mods made to the elevator?

RV-14 Elevator Photos

I flew the prototype with the new elevator in mid June at the factory. Have several photos. No idea how to post them here on the forums as I don't do HTML.

I flew the prototype with the new elevator in mid June at the factory. Have several photos. No idea how to post them here on the forums as I don't do HTML.

I sent you a PM with my email address if you'd like to email to me and I can post.

New Elevator Photos

Let's see I figured this out...

Left Horizontal Stab

1410dif.jpg

Left Elevator and Trim Tab

5eimi1.jpg

Close up of Left trailing edge
28iyovl.jpg

Note that the trailing edge is no longer an AEX wedge, but instead is "fat", that is vertical, about 3/8" high. This change was made to overcome a "dead spot" in the pitch feel that Van himself felt made the prototype a little "un RV-like". Seemed fine in pitch to me on the demo flight.

The structure of the empennage was also beefed up after load testing determined that the prototype configuration wasn't adequate to support the tail-dragger version loads.

Back