What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank questions

JHartline

Well Known Member
Folks,

Two questions from a first-time builder:

On page 18-06, step 6 the instruction is to install the bulkhead union and nut. The plans do not mention any type of sealant but the finger strainer and drain valves both call for Loctite or similar. I know the strainer and the drain both screw into fittings and the AN832-4D union just attached with a nut but...do I use Loctite, Proseal, chewing gum?

The two holes/fittings in the T-10003B ribs. I know the one at the bottom is the supply line but what is the one at the top for? Return line for fuel injection?

Thanks, James

I am pretty sure the plans call for fuel tank sealant, if not that is what should be used on the through bulkhead fitting and jam nut. Yes the top port is a fuel retun that is not used with the Bendix injection on the stock IO-390.

Folks,

Two questions from a first-time builder:

On page 18-06, step 6 the instruction is to install the bulkhead union and nut. The plans do not mention any type of sealant but the finger strainer and drain valves both call for Loctite or similar. I know the strainer and the drain both screw into fittings and the AN832-4D union just attached with a nut but...do I use Loctite, Proseal, chewing gum?

The two holes/fittings in the T-10003B ribs. I know the one at the bottom is the supply line but what is the one at the top for? Return line for fuel injection?

Thanks, James

Fuel tank sealant isn't specifically called out for application to every single part that makes up the fuel tank.... It is expected that builders will develop the understanding that if the tank is to be leak free, any path that fuel could leak has to be sealed during construction. That is also why on page 18-04 it says.....

Note: Assembly steps from this point on require that sealant be installed between mating parts. Read Section 5.16 for more information on fuel tank sealant.

For the other fittings installed from the outside, a specific type sealant is specified (thread sealant) because these all have tapper pipe threads, so tank sealant should not be used.
You can also read about installing and sealing tapered pipe thread fittings in Construction Manual Section 5 (5.27)

The top VA-141 that gets plugged is for potential future use with different power plants that require a fuel return to the tank.

Answers...thanks

"Fuel tank sealant isn't specifically called out for application to every single part that makes up the fuel tank.... It is expected that builders will develop the understanding..."

I know, I know...but sometimes I just HAVE to ask. My understanding is still developing.:rolleyes:

Also Scott, if you fly the taildragger to Sun-N-Fun next spring will you please fly over 5GA2 so my wife can see what the finished product will look like?

Last edited:
How timely is this thread? I presently have the wings fitted to "my" RV-14A. Yesterday, while fabricating the fuel lines to go from the tank to the fuselage, I noticed that I had not installed the plug into the top VA-141, which is not needed for me because I use the stock IO-390.

AAAKKK! Why? This VA-141 hub is located right at the stub of the front spar center section. Which means the wings will have to be removed to install the plug.

Gotta love it.

Tank plug

Yikes!! :eek: I guess it's better to find that now rather than the first time you put gas in the tanks...

You're the second person to ask me that. I used a thread reducer to install a schrader (sp?) valve into that hub to pressurize. I put a ballon over the vent port and capped off the fuel outlet port.

Removed the schrader valve and forgot to buy the plugs and put them in.

Just a follow up on my screw up. I procured a pair of AN913-3D plugs from ACS, hoping all the while that they would be short enough to install without the wing removal. As luck would have it (finally some of the good sort), they are just that. It takes a bit of hand wrangling to get them started in the hubs, but they go in and an open end wrench finishes the job.

AN913-3D Plugs

Just a follow up on my screw up. I procured a pair of AN913-3D plugs from ACS, hoping all the while that they would be short enough to install without the wing removal. As luck would have it (finally some of the good sort), they are just that. It takes a bit of hand wrangling to get them started in the hubs, but they go in and an open end wrench finishes the job.

Weren't those plugs included with the wings? I have both of those plugged.

Well considering that I built my wings five years ago while the plans and kits were still in development for the most part, not all the parts and fittings that are included today were sent to me.

Such is the lot of a beta tester. (Which I wouldn't give up for the world.)

Back