What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost to ferry VFR RV-6 from CA to IN ?

Anyone familiar with what I should expect to pay for this service. I cannot take the time right now from my business.

Depending on where in Ca you start, it's probably a 10-12 hour flight. Your cost, in addition to maybe 100 gallons of 100LL, expenses for the pilot to get from his/her home to your airplane and back home again, overnight expenses, plus about $25/flight hr for their service as a competent RV pilot. That's pretty cheap for the pilot, but something a retired guy (like me) might do it for.

Last edited:
Thanks, that is a start. One quote I got was for $250 a day plus expenses regardless of flight hours. Said I could figure on 4 to 5 days depending on weather. Thought he might be visiting his cousins around the country when I heard that.

Probably never flown something like an RV, or was just factoring in weather delays to avoid the customer being ticked off when the bill was higher than raw flight time would indicate.

The idea of someone who's retired (like me) doing the job for *only* expenses does raise a question for aviation lawyers. If someone did the flight for no actual compensation, but all expenses were covered, is it a commercial operation requiring a commercial ticket, 2nd class medical, etc?

If the pilot took an extra day or two & did a bit of sightseeing at his own expense, would that change the answer?

Call Tom Berge. I'll let him give his price. In two days he will do the pre-buy and deliver the plane (weather permitting). Even if it takes him 3 days that is typically a lot less than having a pre-buy alone done. The flight should be 1 long day, but your other quote was probably factoring in a travel out day, a travel home day, Plus two days to deliver - factoring in some weather delays.

Insurance

Don't forget about insurance. Most "I'm retired and will do it cheap" pilots will not have insurance.

Jim
RV-4
N444JT

I purchased my plane from California and brought to Georgia and paid for a friend's expenses to come out with me and fly the plane home. It was a very memoriable experience that I'm grateful for. We flew in February and fought weather (high winds, extreme cold & snow) for most of the trip. I hope no one expects to make a cross country trip in an RV in 1 day.... Unless you are looking to break some sort of record :p, it's safe to say 2 to 3 days should be planned.

The idea of someone who's retired (like me) doing the job for *only* expenses does raise a question for aviation lawyers. If someone did the flight for no actual compensation, but all expenses were covered, is it a commercial operation requiring a commercial ticket, 2nd class medical, etc?

If the pilot took an extra day or two & did a bit of sightseeing at his own expense, would that change the answer?
Technically.... a private pilot can only share expenses. If the flight does not cost him/her something it is probably in violation of the FARs. Even providing 'free flight time' is compensation in the FAA's view. Now this rule is probably 'stretched' every day in multiple ways.
A pilot with a commercial license is the proper way to do this.

Have you considered your personal liability? You hire someone to fly your plane across the country, and it ends up going bad. Not trying to kill the buzz, just saying.

Thank a lawyer.

Be Realistic

In my past commercial endeavors, I have always been amazed at what people expect to pay. If you can find someone who is a private pilot and wants to do something for fun, then by all means go that way.

If you want to hire someone who is a professional pilot, then be prepared to pay for that service. A day rate of $250 plus expenses is well within the boundaries of fair and reasonable.

Think of what it takes to achieve the level of competence you are contracting for the person to do, while being at some risk and away from home.

Now, the four to five day estimate is a little high, but not absurd, just cautious.

My 2 cents...

Don

PM me or call me at eight one three six eight four three three eight six and I might be able to make you an offer you can't refuse.

Good advice! Keep it coming.

Quite a few things that I haven't thought of have been brought up. Never would have thought to ask about the insurance.

In my past commercial endeavors, I have always been amazed at what people expect to pay. If you can find someone who is a private pilot and wants to do something for fun, then by all means go that way.

If you want to hire someone who is a professional pilot, then be prepared to pay for that service. A day rate of $250 plus expenses is well within the boundaries of fair and reasonable.

Think of what it takes to achieve the level of competence you are contracting for the person to do, while being at some risk and away from home.

Now, the four to five day estimate is a little high, but not absurd, just cautious.

My 2 cents...

Don

I agree the rate of $250 a day is very reasonable. Just four to five days seemed high. I drove the distance in 1979 when the speed limit was an enforced 55 mph and made it in under 3 days

As others have said,
1. To do it right the pilot needs at least a commercial license and second class medical;
2. Talk with your insurance agent.

I have a business ferrying aircraft.
$250/day + expenses is about half what a professional pilot will charge.
I require the plane have at least liability insurance with a hold-harmless contract. But hull insurance is highly recommended. I am known at several insurance companies.

As an RV owner, I reduce my rate...California to Indiana would normally be a 2 day fee (1 day flying + 1 day traveling)

But for a fellow RV owner, I would flat rate it to one day. I keep my 7 in Phoenix in the Winter so I'll already be in the Lower 48. The only exception to this rate would be if through no fault of mine, a mechanical malfunction waylays me for an extended time...and even then I would reduce my rate for RVers.

Over 150 planes ferried with references.
Good luck,
Bob

I just flew my RV-9A from San Diego, CA to Moorhead, MN in early February. It cost me about $650, which included two nights in motels (one due to weather) it was 12 hours in the air over a 48 hour period. Great memorable trip.

Ken,

I wasn't chastising you personally for seeking the best deal. Everyone wants to understand the market and get the best deal.

If you hire a professional pilot, expect to add him/her to your insurance coverage. Most agencies will do that. However, most people don't understand that your insurance will cover YOU when someone authorized is flying your airplane. If something happens they will cover YOU, and then turn around and seek damages from the authorized pilot. Subrogation is the term.

If I were to fly your aircraft, I would want to be a NAMED INSURED on your policy. That way we are both entitled to insurance protection should something happen.

An insurance expert on the forum may chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. I have personal knowledge of an instructor offering a BFR for a customer in an Arrow. The pilot landed a wee bit short of a runway during the BFR having performed an unexpected move. The insurance company paid for the damage, and then sued the instructor for the cost. They lost, but the cost to defend was huge.

Do ferry pilots carry insurance? I think it would be hugely expensive to do so. Maybe a ferry pilot will chime in and let us know.

I apologize in advance for the thread drift...

Don

Ken,

If you hire a professional pilot, expect to add him/her to your insurance coverage. Most agencies will do that. However, most people don't understand that your insurance will cover YOU when someone authorized is flying your airplane. If something happens they will cover YOU, and then turn around and seek damages from the authorized pilot. Subrogation is the term.

If I were to fly your aircraft, I would want to be a NAMED INSURED on your policy. That way we are both entitled to insurance protection should something happen.

Don

This is exactly correct. A post above mentioned a "hold harmless" contract. Unless the ferry pilot is a named insured (NOT flying under an "open pilot" clause) such a contract will invalidate most insurance policies, which typically require that you do nothing to prevent the insurance company from recovering their loss.
The cost to add an experienced pilot as a named insured is usually not much.
Talk to your agent, get it in writing!

Where in california is the RV6? I am from the SFO area and I would say a reasonable charge is $250/day since I have my commercial certificate.

I have almost 90hrs flying our RV8! I'm Instrument current as well. ;)

Ken,

If I were to fly your aircraft, I would want to be a NAMED INSURED on your policy. That way we are both entitled to insurance protection should something happen. So far, there has never been an added cost to add me to an insurance policy because of my high time and experience.

An insurance expert on the forum may chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. I have personal knowledge of an instructor offering a BFR for a customer in an Arrow. The pilot landed a wee bit short of a runway during the BFR having performed an unexpected move. The insurance company paid for the damage, and then sued the instructor for the cost. They lost, but the cost to defend was huge.

Do ferry pilots carry insurance? I think it would be hugely expensive to do so. Maybe a ferry pilot will chime in and let us know.

I apologize in advance for the thread drift...

Don

Don is correct on all counts. When I mentioned insurance, I was referring to being a named insured.
If you can get the job done for less and it all works out, go for it.
A caution, however...it is not rare for the final cost to be less when paying an experienced professional.
PM me if you would like to discuss.
Bob

Last edited:
It's been a couple of years but I had my 9A ferried from northern CA to Shelbyville IN. I used Ryan Miller [email protected].
He's a commercial pilot. I think I temporarely put him on my insurance. The great think about Ryan was his wife is a flight attendant so he has free flight privilege when there are open seats. I think he was 200$ per day but that, about 100$ for a hotel room and fuel is all you pay. He's a great guy and uses a spot tracker so I got to watch his progress across the country.
Gunther

My 2 cents...

Don

I agree for a professional $250.00 a day plus expenses is very reasonable.... Professional Ferry pilots get paid by the day not the flight hour.

The quantity of days is a big variable, travel time to aircraft, days to actually ferry aircraft, and travel time back to ferry pilots home (base).

What kind of avionics does it have? IFR? Autopilot? What kind of timeline are you on? If you still need a ferry pilot I can maybe work it in...though my March schedule is tight.

When I added Tom Berge to my insurance for the ferry flight, it lowered my rate something like $50/year because of his experience. My insurance company treated it like he was one of the pilots who would fly the plane all year, and that worked out in my favor (for a year).

Plane far from ready

Thanks for all the good advice and offers to ferry. This plane has been sitting outside for a number of years and the prepurchase inspection has yet to be done. I was trying to get some numbers to figure this into the equation on whether to repair it there or have it disassembled and trucked to Indiana. I have a lot of paperwork to get done with the executor of the estate before this can proceed. I will post a help wanted add on this forum if it turns out to be flyable.

Ken

Thanks for all the good advice and offers to ferry. This plane has been sitting outside for a number of years and the prepurchase inspection has yet to be done. I was trying to get some numbers to figure this into the equation on whether to repair it there or have it disassembled and trucked to Indiana. I have a lot of paperwork to get done with the executor of the estate before this can proceed. I will post a help wanted add on this forum if it turns out to be flyable.

Ken

Where in Calif is the plane located??

If close to the Stockton area, you might want to get hold of Craig Vincent-----he does exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=4499

Last edited:
Ferry Costs

I doubt you need to pay for a "pro". I ferried two airplanes and the pilot did it for expenses. The pilot was a CFI at our local airport. They are looking to build time. So I paid, gas, meals, airfare for return, hotel. On one of the flights I went along and paid for 5 hours of training while enroute, so he made some labor money during those 5 hours.

But unless you going out of the country, or flying an iffy airplane, a local CFI would probably do it. Or a retired RV pilot. I'm close to retiring and if I was I'd do it for expenses. It would be a paid vacation. Might include wife in those expenses, but she doesn't eat much.

Ferrying

I used to ferry brand new agcats from Elmira NY. To Welsh Louisiana for a whopping 200$. It was a 3 day trip at best, one day up and two days down. Got snowed in, in Towanda PA. Once for two weeks, got room and board paid but I still made that whopping 200$! Do note however that this was in 1978:)
Sorry for the drift.

Bird

I doubt you need to pay for a "pro". I ferried two airplanes and the pilot did it for expenses. The pilot was a CFI at our local airport. They are looking to build time. So I paid, gas, meals, airfare for return, hotel. On one of the flights I went along and paid for 5 hours of training while enroute, so he made some labor money during those 5 hours.

But unless you going out of the country, or flying an iffy airplane, a local CFI would probably do it. Or a retired RV pilot. I'm close to retiring and if I was I'd do it for expenses. It would be a paid vacation. Might include wife in those expenses, but she doesn't eat much.

I don't think I'm as concerned about 'Big Brother' as some are (read thru the posts about ADSB!), but do keep in mind that these forums are open to all, and some FAA types do read posts.
Unless you have commercial privileges, what you proposed for yourself could invite enforcement action, and you just told the world. (CFIs of course do hold commercial licenses, so that's a good idea).

Unless you personally know a pilot who is qualified, I strongly suggest you pick one of several professionals who have been recommended in this thread.

Ask for "first person" references.

Your airplane is worth too much to rely on a smile and a handshake.

Anyone familiar with what I should expect to pay for this service. I cannot take the time right now from my business

Stdlibelle,

Forgive me if this has been asked, I looked and didn't see it asked so...

Why not just fly it from Cali to IN yourself?

Charlie
RV-8

Back