What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice on tiny shop layout.

bobhope2505

After deciding that I can't wait any longer to get started (embarrassed to say how long I've "planning" this) I'm ordering my first kit component on the 29th. (RV-7 or RV-14. The wife will cast the deciding vote.) The problem is that I don't have a shop--one of the reasons I've been putting this off. I'm going with the only option I have, which is to put up a temporary structure in my backyard RV parking pad. (Building code setbacks rule out building a shop.)

I'm putting up a 12Wx20Lx9H portable garage (with lots of soundproofing), and I have a space about 8X10 in the garage that can also be put to use. I'm hoping some of you experienced builders can offer suggestions that will help make the most of what little space I have. I have a ton of questions: How big should I make the workbench? Do I need access to every side of the bench or can I push it against one of the walls? I'm getting the DRDT-2 dimpling tool, a drill press, and a bench grinder. My hope is to arrange them in some type of logical order. What's the best use I can make of the separate space in the garage? I was thinking it could be a dedicated painting room, or would that mean to much back-and-forth? (it's about 60' away.) Should I cram all the equipment into one end and maximize open floor space? I've read what's on the Van's website and I will invest in good lighting and heat/AC.

I don't expect any one person to try to answer all of my questions, and what not to do can be just as helpful. The real problem with complete ignorance are the questions I don't know to ask.:confused: Feel free to take a crack at those too!

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Bob

Welcome to VAF

I built my Rv-7 in a single car garage and most of my -10. I only ever had the section I was working on. The rest stored in other garages.
My bench is about 5X3 ft with a slot in the middle that the drdt-2 slides into so that flat sheets slide through and are supported as I dimple.
When not in use I just pull it out and store it. The same goes for my drill press and vice, I lift them onto the bench when needed.
My bench grinder I put on a separate stand.
I've seen some people put wheels on their benches so they can move them for different jobs.
Sometimes it's easier to have the ability to move things around. When your doing the wings (long but narrow) the layout is quite different to doing the fuselage. (Wide one end narrow the other)

Good luck on the -7 vs -14 choice. I'm small by American terms, so the -7 fits me fine and it opens up much more engine choice and therefore potential savings.

314w17a.jpg

28c3481.jpg

zj6tcw.jpg

33e7a79.jpg

Peter

Last edited:
"I'm putting up a 12Wx20Lx9H portable garage"

That's a palace compared to what I started my project in... A 10x10x8 that doubled as my office in a 1950's era base housing duplex with a single car carport! I had a desk (with a Spruce catalog) and computer on one wall, a bookcase with books and aluminum parts on another, a workbench against the third wall, and the compressor in the closet.

Put the workbench on caster wheels, keep against the wall and move about when needing access to all sides. In fact, put most everything on wheels.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Welcome to VAF!

Syrus, welcome to VAF:D

Have you joined the Sacramento RVators by any chance?? They might be able to hook you up with someone local who has extra room-------although your plan will be adequate, it is always nice to not be too crowded.

Good to have you aboard.

http://sacrvators.com/

Welcome

Syrus
Welcome.
Not much to add since I have a two car garage. If these guys can build a 10 in single car garage or a shipping container, you should be fine in your shop.
I would start like them with one bench. You will likely change things as the build progresses anyway.
The only issue I see is the paint booth idea. You will need air in the shop and the paint booth.
Consider the power requirements for the shop before you build it. Most here recommend the biggest 220v compressor you can fit.

Wheels

My only piece of advice is to put all benches and tables on wheels. That way you can wheel them out of the way as needed. Also, you could work outside when it is nice. The biggest problem in working in a confined space is damaging stuff moving it around. Getting stuff out of the way really helps.

Congrats, good luck on build.

I would also recommend you make things easy to move. I have a full two car garage and still have re-organized things about 4 different times over the course of the build as needed. There is no one perfect setup.

Chris

You'll be fine. I built the majority of my RV-9A project in half of my two car garage. I moved the car out once to do a little bit of work on my engine before installing it and again when fitting and gluing the canopy.

You'll have no problem with your two spaces. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I think I have a plan and it it includes a much smaller workbench than I originally thought. I'm now thinking one 5'x3' bench like Peter's or Al's against a long wall in the middle of the front half of the space, and a small 3' one to give me a longer bench when needed or to move outside when it's convenient. I also like how Peter has small parts storage within reach right behind him. The back 6' will be for painting and the compressor. I'll use the separate space in the garage to store finished sections. I hope those guys in Chile can do their painting outdoors!

You can save some table space by skipping the grinder. I did and now, two years into the project, still don't miss it at all.

Files work great....

Dave

tiny workshop

just build a tiny airplane. ok...srry srry, :)i coulnd't resist hope this gives u a little humor as you persue the dream we have in common, to build a great airplane.

bird

Back