What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To paint the kit or not to paint it

shefferm

I'm New Here
Hello
I've mentioned that many builders are not painting the kit prior the maiden flight. Is it related to some technical reasons, or just a matter of polished metal look? Do those guys usually accomplish the paint work after finish the test flights?

Mike
RV-7
Almost done

Many builders choose to have their planes painted at a facility outside their phase 1 test area. So they can't easily get there until into phase two.

I am glad I waited

I still haven't painted and have about 55 hours on it. Now I'm ready to paint and glad I waited. I would have scratched my paint job with all the little things I did during phase 1. The nose gear fairing would have to be repainted for sure. But now I have things fitting just right.

Now I have to find a paint shop in the upper Midwest , any ideas?

+1 The parts come on and off a gazillion times during the build. Unless you build a perfect airplane you will most likely be making a few tweaks during phase 1 testing. I flew mine for 2 years before getting it painted. Other than the complaints from fellow RVers it worked out for me. YYMV

I painted mine after all major construction. I have firewall fwd left to do and to fit and paint cowling. You do have to be a little more carefull around it but I keep it covered with moving blankets. I also put a good coat of wax on it after about six months of paint curing. So far it's working well for me.

Bird

I painted mine before final assembly. As I hauled pieces from my garage, I stopped at a friends paint booth. It takes a little more care, but I would do it again for sure.

Back