What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much ChemSeal?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am looking to replace my old gas caps with the lockable Vans caps. Wanted to know how much chemseal I would need and which one? Im on aircraft spruce and there are a bunch of options.

Thanks,
D

I am looking to replace my old gas caps with the lockable Vans caps. Wanted to know how much chemseal I would need and which one? Im on aircraft spruce and there are a bunch of options.

Thanks,
D

I put these in my RV-10:

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/Andair%20Fuel%20Caps.html

You really can't buy a small enough amount of proseal for the job. I think I bought like a 2 oz tube and had plenty left over. It doesn't take much.

Just a quick note, these don't replace the Van's filler rings, but are adhered to the existing rings.

Not much!

I hope you are looking at the Newton caps best product going.

Bob is right - there is no package small enough to do this job - you will have plenty left over. Be sure to scratch up both surfaces when you bond 'em in - I have seen 'em come loose when not installed correctly.

Vans

Vans sells Flamemaster sealant (2 hour Proseal) in 3.5 oz. They also have a 1 oz but it's 30 minute.

I was planning on getting the andairs like bob for my RV6A as they will fit right into the existing location. Should I be looking at a better option?

I just hate the usher caps as they are a pain to open. Plus I have my plane outside and with all the nonsense that goes on at my airport, I would feel safer with locks.

Vans seems to have the best on the Newtons. FUEL CAP RETRO is the part #. Check it out. The Newtons and the Andair brands are so much alike it's hard to tell apart. same key blanks and design. Install is the same. these are Andair purchased from Aircraft Specialty.
ouW.jpg

will vans engrave them?

D

No, but Aircraft Specialty will.

Actually, any trophy shop has the capability, but some get really freaked out when you ask them to engrave on a arc or a non standard shape of metal. :eek:

No, but Aircraft Specialty will.

Actually, any trophy shop has the capability, but some get really freaked out when you ask them to engrave on a arc or a non standard shape of metal. :eek:

I am sure that Bob would agree that Aircraft Specialty is great to deal with and does an awesome job of engraving. :)

thanks guys. I am just trying to figure out who will be cheaper when shipping is involved. etc.

Thanks,
D

I am sure that Bob would agree that Aircraft Specialty is great to deal with and does an awesome job of engraving. :)

Yep! Full disclosure is that I am a happy customer, I have the Andair caps and Aircraft Speciality did the engraving. Steve and I used to work for the same company, although both of us have moved on to other companies.

Back