What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming AD's?

wmcmaster

Hi All,

I am just about to order my finish kit for my RV 7. I have to commit to the engine before doing so, and this is a strong possibility.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of AD's for Lycoming engines?

I have a used engine I am considering that was overhauled nearly 20 yrs ago, and has sat in a crate pickeled since then. I want to find out if there are any AD's that affect the engine before I finalize the deal.

The engine I am looking at is an IO 360 A1B that was converted from an IO 360 C1C about 20 years ago.

Thanks,

Wayne McMaster
Southern Indiana
RV 7 slider

AD's

Wayne, You can go to the FAA site http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/ Once on this page at the top of the left hand column you can click on "Airworthiness Directives" and it will take you to a searchable page where you can put in "Lycoming." That will give you all 194 AD's written on any Lycoming engine. George

Lycoming ad's

What people forget sometimes is that Lycoming's TBO is defined not only by hours, but by years, and I believe 20 years is beyond TBO; that doesn't mean it needs to be overhauled under part 91, but if there are AD's that specify that something needs to be done at TBO it might mean something for you.

The TBO is defined for various models in a Lycoming Service bulletin I believe.
...sorry, I don't have the particulars but I'm guessing its 14 years.

Also If your engine happened to be on an ag plane, TBO hours is lowered by a some factor.

Back