What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Wing Root Seal?

cactusman

Well Known Member
I am in process of taking off the older foam with sticky back wing root seals for paint, and ordered new ones and a long strip of this showed up:

PSA-897.jpg

Anyone else encounter this type of seal?

I am in process of taking off the older foam with sticky back wing root seals for paint, and ordered new ones and a long strip of this showed up:

PSA-897.jpg

Anyone else encounter this type of seal?

Yes.
It is what is used on all the RV models ( that need a rubber seal) except for the RV-12.

So this came in a bag marked 12, was this an error, or was there a change?

There has been no change.

You said you ordered replacement seal.....
Did you order by the RV-12 bag number or by the seal part # for the RV-12 (VA-204 Seal Strip)?

When ordering replacement parts, it is always best to use your documentation to look up the actual part #... the order people are good, but none of them have built an RV themselves so there is more chance for a mistake if you just say I need wing root seal for an RV-12.

If you did give them the part #, then someone made a mistake. Call them up and they should be able to get it corrected.

RV-12 Wing Root Seal - -

Aircraft Supply. West Mifflin, Pa. TA-11-BLACK Neoprene 3/8" Wide. 1/16" Wall. 1/16" slot. 18 feet. Can get it White also as I recall.

Last edited:
Any installation difficulties with this stuff?

Aircraft Supply. West Mifflin, Pa. TA-11-BLACK Neoprene 3/8" Wide. 1/16" Wall. 1/16" slot. 18 feet. Can get it White also as I recall.

John, I was curious--when using this u channel, about midwing the rivets are very close to the edge (<1/4" as I recall). Did you have any difficulty forming this over those rivets? Did you use Aircraft Supply's recommended sticky stuff to glue it in place?

As I recall - -

on the under side near the spar, you have to trim a little off inner side for clearance. I don't recall anything else. I put a smear of RTV every 4" or so on the inside to hold it in place. I cut it 1/2" long top and bottom and then trimmed it later once I knew how stable it would be. Still very satisfied with it. Looks good, and does the job.

Last edited:
Back