What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone recognize this?

tomkk

Well Known Member
It's a fuse holder and was in bag 2821 and identified simply as "Garmin Electrical". Unlike the other bags, I couldn't find any detail listing of the bag contents. I have a Dynon system and don't see where it's installed. Perhaps this is part of a Garmin system install?

Last edited:
It's a fuse holder and was in bag 2821 and identified simply as "Garmin Electrical". Unlike the other bags, I couldn't find any detail listing of the bag contents. I have a Dynon system and don't see where it's installed. Perhaps this is part of a Garmin system install?

That is possibly for wiring the explosive bolts for the "optional" canopy ejection system on the RV-12.2A model😳😳

that looks like the type of inline fuse that is sold at Autozone. I am surprised Garmin would supply that.

Last edited:
Is that a micro USB socket on the left? Looks like a data port access.

I have the D180 with a Garmin 496. I ran a similar lead so I could easily update my software without opening the avionics bay.

Is that a micro USB socket on the left? Looks like a data port access.

I have the D180 with a Garmin 496. I ran a similar lead so I could easily update my software without opening the avionics bay.

No, sorry, my bad picture taking. It actually is a fuse holder. The fuse plugs into the two sockets like we're used to. It came in the kit and I just don't see anything that refers to its installation. I don't know where it goes ...

The old 496 and D180 setup had a fuse for the GPS in the panel. If there isn't one in your panel I would assume it goes in line with the GPS power feed.

No, sorry, my bad picture taking. It actually is a fuse holder. The fuse plugs into the two sockets like we're used to. It came in the kit and I just don't see anything that refers to its installation. I don't know where it goes ...

Tom, I think you should not have received that part.

I believe it is only used for the Garmin G3X installation for the back-up battery.

Thanks, Scott. I was hoping I hadn't left something out. Nobody likes left over parts :)

Follow-up

Tom, I think you should not have received that part.

I believe it is only used for the Garmin G3X installation for the back-up battery.

It turns out that this part has been added to one of the parts bags that is shipped in all avionics kits (whether it be for G3X or Skyview), in order to simplify part inventory.
If your installation doesn't call for using it, you can add it to that junk box of stuff we might need some day that everyone has in there shop.

Thanks, Scott. I was hoping I hadn't left something out. Nobody likes left over parts :)
Then you're in for a big surprise when you're done! I have boxes of assorted nuts, bolts, washers, etc. left over, along with a mysterious length of angle aluminum. Still flying, so I've gotten over the initial concern over the quantity of leftovers.

Then you're in for a big surprise when you're done! I have boxes of assorted nuts, bolts, washers, etc. left over, along with a mysterious length of angle aluminum. Still flying, so I've gotten over the initial concern over the quantity of leftovers.

Yeah, my "spare parts" bin is growing :)

I still can't figure out why I had to install those two #6 nut plates on the lip under the throttle panel, but they are coming in handy to mount my VOR/GS unit!😁

Back