What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 40 light kit

jsenft

Well Known Member
Where should the of the light kit (section 40) pages be inserted into the building plans so the light kit can be installed at the right time?

I just completed page 40-12, installing the 'eyeball' cockpit light. Easy stuff, and to answer your question: I am WAY into installing the avionics. I'd say do it anytime you're close to completion on the finishing kit.

Where should the of the light kit (section 40) pages be inserted into the building plans so the light kit can be installed at the right time?

It seemed natural to me to incorporate it into the wing skinning, Section 17. I inserted it between 17 and 18. The cabin light portion would occur later, while running the fuselage wiring, but no reason to split Section 40 just for that.

You complete part of the kit while you are building the wings, and the rest is done anytime before you paint the interior and finish up the wiring.

Another 'lost' part??

In the lighting kit there is a Aeroled packet with the mounting kit for the wingtip lights along with the 2 No. required Molex connectors. I appear to have all the bits per pages 40-04 to 06 in a brown paper bag (brackets, bolts etc) but no Molex connector blocks or the Aeroleds flat and lock washers page 40-07 Fig 1 . Also missing is Foam Strip V1110 19" and the 1 No. SB187-2 snap in bushing. Can anyone advise if there was a Aeroleds bag to go with the landing light as there was for the wingtip lights before I make a fool of myself with Vans? Where else should I look? (exhausted all bags with the lighting kit).
Thanks, Jim D

Check your packing list which contains the parts inside each bag. Look for the part numbers there and you will likely find them inside one of the parts bags.

I can't be more specific because I'm not in the hangar to check firsthand. I'm sure I found the parts somewhere in a parts bag, but I don't recall specifically. I moved pretty quickly through the light kit and not much sticks to my old brain cells anymore.

I'm just going through my inventory now on the wings/light kit.

In the Aeroled Boxes there appears to be a small zip lock with connectors/pins, etc. The Aeroled boxes are sealed with their label.

Van's specific parts are in the box with the lighting kit (that the Aeroled boxes are also in).

Bob

As for the right time for installing the lighting kit, not sure there is one ? the kit is designed to be installed either during the build or as an upgrade for an already constructed wing.

This method worked great for me:
After deburring the edges of the W-1203 wing skin I decided to make the landing lighting cutout while the wing skin was on the bench. I Clecoed a few ribs onto the skin to hold the proper leading edge shape then used the template to mark the landing light hole ? but did not drill the holes for the mounting ribs or lens. (That was done after the wing bottom was riveted in place and the wing was flipped this helps insure proper alignment).

The ribs were temporally removed and the skin was flipped over so the lower or bottom cut was just past the edge of the bench then the cut was made (slowly) with a jig saw outfitted with a 24 teeth per inch metal blade and duct tape covering the bottom as a pad to prevent scratches. The cut was also extended part of the way up the sides towards the leading edge but stopped well short of the tight bend. The skin was then flipped over and the ribs were Clecoed back in place to keep the skin tensioned, which prevents it from flapping around, and the cut was finished. A Dremel tool with a sanding drum was used after a little hand filing to smooth the edges. Turned out great and created no mess inside the wing to try to clean up.

Cockpit light switch

I am obviously missing something...with the SVD1000 on how do I turn on/off the LC ECL-02 Red Eyeball Cockpit Light?

Back