What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

11 Feb 2013 Wiring NAV/Strobe Functionality Correction

FredC

I was unable to follow the Recommended Action in Van's 11 Feb 2013 notification. Reason was because my WH-00031 harness was made using 18 gauge wires. Tool ICM INSRT/EXTRCT cannot be used to remove sockets 1 and 14 from the 25-Pin d-sub connector when 18 gauge wire is used in the sockets.

The Tool ICM INSRT/EXTRCT was intended to be used with 22 gauge or smaller wire.

I made the swap by cutting the wires to sockets 1 and 14, swapped the wires, spliced and soldered the splice, then used heat shrink to cover the splices.

I advised Van's Tech Support that a different Recommended Action for subject functionality correction is needed.

Cordially,
Fred Carnes

Functionality of nav/strobe wiring

I am glad there are some very clever blokes out there - I thought there was something wrong with me as I struggled to fit that tool with that connector - no way. Finally sent an email to Vans begging for help. I thought that the wing connector would be the best place to make the change 'cos at least you can get at it.
Just not sure which wires need to be swapped down there for each wing so I haven't tried it.

Thanks for restoring sanity!

I agree with the inadequacy of the tool referred by VANs. I just made the swap yesterday after struggling with this tool to no avail. I finally found in my toolbox a plastic version of the tool, looks the same but made of plastic. I did not order it which means that it came with the avionics: check, you may have it too. Anyway, with the plastic version the extraction went like a cinch.

No Problem

Just done it today with the Van's supplied tool. Took about 5mins including dismantling and reassembly of the plastic cover.

Back