What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ way to add air to RV-12 tires with fairings?

danielabernath

Well Known Member
The tires need air but the farings appear to be covering up the air intakes. Is there an EZ way to check the air level and add air?

I too thought about adding air valve access holes to my RV-12's wheel pants. I decided not to do so. My tires need an air adjustment (due to typical tube seepage and/or climatic temperature variations) about every three months. I figure that removing the aft portion of each pant (a handful of screws taking little time with a battery-powered screwdriver) once every three months or so to look at the tire wear, check the brake pads, and top-off the air pressure is valuable peace-of-mind - particularly when operating a castering nosewheel that substantially relies on functioning brakes.

BTW, I have noticed that some tube's valve stems are not positioned 90 degrees to the surface of the wheel pant and it is therefore difficult to get a "straight-on shot" with the air chuck via an adjacent air access hole.

Daniel,
I did the valve locate, drilled the wheel pants, and all lines up fine. But you also have to mark the tire to help locate the valve stem, and then to use the tools to remove the cap and put on the extension was tough.

The practice of taking off the back half of the wheel pants to inspect the tire, wheel, and brakes and of course add air sounds like a good practice. And not that much more work. Either method will have you on the ground working under the wing. IMHO

I didn't notice that it has screws!
n262ws.jpg

So the best thing seems to be to unscrew-inspect-feed air-re-screw.
Thank you gentlemen.

I bought an Air Force star with wings sticker which I shall now place on the tail under the WS for the plane tail number N262WS
Builder USAF Major Wes Schierman built it and only got to fly her for about 50 hours before the Big C took him down. I've now added 50 hours or so and flew from north Seattle to SW Florida in her.
Mr. Schierman, a POW for 7.5 years. A real pilot who was shot down in North Vietnam, continued to make radio calls to direct his buddies still in the air, captured, paraded through the streets---the US POW he was tied to died from the beating by the commie beatings in the 'parade'. So, that little USAF sticker next to his name will be my tribute. (also help with my survivor's guilt).
A USN veteran honoring a USAF veteran. Will wonders never cease?
P1040464-L.jpg

Back