What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall pointers

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
After doing a few stall maneuvers, I had the curiosity to analyse the Skyview download using the convenient help of SavvyAnalysis web site service (Using their zoom feature helps get precise measurements).

All tests carried at 3,000 ft at 1,200 pounds of load.
On power-off stall with full flaps, the stall warning triggers around 50 kts while on power-on with 1 notch of flaps it triggers around 60 kts IAS. The break on power-on stall occurs at 38 kts IAS.
The power-off stall did not produce a clear break so it is difficult to see where it occurred on the diagram but based on rpm increase following the break it seems to have happened at 35 kts IAS.

I feel comfortable with these figures, the stall warning gives plenty of time to react while not interfering in normal flight conditions. During slow flight the tone can get quite annoying but I don't consider this a normal situation outside the flare on landing. I rarely trigger the stall warning on landings although I can do it if I want to.

These pointers will help me get less stressed on landings in gusty wind. I am curious getting feed back from other -12 pilots as well as advice for any change you would recommend.

On power-off stall with full flaps, the stall warning triggers around 50 kts

I am curious getting feed back from other -12 pilots as well as advice for any change you would recommend.

Since you did ask....

If your stall indicator activates at about 50 Kts at an idle full flap stall (at altitude) but it rarely does during landings, then you are routinely landing much faster than you need to.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that if that is what you want to do, but it will wear tires faster, possibly brakes depending on where runway turn-offs are, etc.
Also, as pilots we tend to develop a skill set based on what we do as routine.
I personally like to fly an airplane (as routine) so that I am fully utilizing the capabilities of that airplane, so that if I ever need those capabilities (forced landing into a tight landing zone, etc.) it is much more second nature.

So, if you are routinely landing with no stall indicator, you are routinely landing with a roll out distance well over double what it needs to be.
I realize that with typical runway lengths, that is not of much concern with an RV-12, but something to consider should you ever want to use something much shorter, or you are forced to whether you want to or not.

Since you did ask....

So, if you are routinely landing with no stall indicator, you are routinely landing with a roll out distance well over double what it needs to be.
I realize that with typical runway lengths, that is not of much concern with an RV-12, but something to consider should you ever want to use something much shorter, or you are forced to whether you want to or not.

Good point, Scott. I will try to follow your advice. Probably landing full flaps would help getting speed to drop faster on the flare. My behavior was triggered by an early experience when I rebounded after stalling probably one foot or two above the driveway (my only rebound ever). My take is that such rebound is more harmful to the plane than the wear on the tires for landing too fast. Your comment on landing on challenging runways though is important to keep in mind too.

Come on guys, let it go, tell me I'm not alone doing that!

My challenging runways appear to be landing halfway down the runway, but clearing at the only open taxiway.

...no no no...power controls rate of descent, NOT speed.....

Back