What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lighting Kit - Lens Fit

rfchisholm

I just completed my landing light installation (Section 40), and I'm less than thrilled with the fit of the lens (W-00014) to the curvature of the wing. There is a gap that I don't care for and feel like I should correct/redo.

I have an older wing kit and purchased a new lighting kit just last month. Is it possible that the shape of the wing has changed since I got my wing kit and the curve that the lens is currently being shaped to?

Have others experienced a poor lens fit?

What are my options? Can I change the re-shape of the lens (i.e. heat it up)?

Any feedback/direction would be appreciated.

Thank you

Have you fitted the lens yet or just compared shapes? Once installed it should conform to the curve, although you will get a little divergence between fasteners. I very much doubt that Vans have changed the wing profile.

landing light lens

I did heat the lens some to make it fit a little better. Be careful when you tighten the screws, it can crack the lens, ask me how I know. A new lens is $18. This was the only part I had to replace on the whole project.

Heat and reshape the lens

Ronald ?I feel your pain. I discovered the same issue with the new light lens compared to the old thinner lens. The new lens is much thicker and not shaped perfectly and creates a gap at the leading edge of the wing. It was over bent if I remember correctly.

I know this because after ordering the wing & lighting kit I decided a few weeks later that I wanted to add a second landing light so I could have wig-wag lights. When I ordered the additional light and lens I received the newer thicker lens. The thinner lens could be made to conform to the curve of the leading edge quite nicely just by pressing it against the leading edge of the wing ? not so with the thicker lens.

As suggested by DB ... I was able to improve the fit by heating with a heat gun and used the wing?s leading edge to help reshape the lens. Took a few cycles to obtain a fairly good fit. Below are comments and photos of the new and old lens from my builder Blog.
http://www.dogaviation.com/2013/03/fitting-of-left-wing-landing-light-lens.html

Happy building,

Update!

I'm glad to report that I've discovered my error ....
Pulled the lens, flipped it over, re-attached. WOW! Fits much better now! :D

Ron Chisholm... Pegasus here.. I installed an access panel on the bottom of the wing.
It makes an install easy, and light adjustment angle.

Would love to see a photo of your inspection hole!
DonFromTX Pegasus here. Sorry I am having trouble getting photos from my IPAD
to my PC to upload. What I did was cut out a panel cover then mark the place I wanted
cut the hole out. Then I made an oval ring plate for the nut plates, mark for rivets and
drill and dimple the skin, the ring plate fits inside. That lets the cover fit flush.
Hope this helps;;;;;

Back