What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN GNC 300XL Repair?

beberle

Garmin no longer supports the 250XL/300XL series. My 300XL just stopped transmitting. GPS and RX are fine. Pretty sure this is a common problem.
Question: are there any avionics shops that can and are willing to repair my radio? I've called several, but they just send failed units to Garmin....

also: I have tried re-seating the unit several times, and have swapped it out w/ a friend's 300XL. His worked fine.
thanks

Try Keith Peshak in Georgetown TX, (512) 636-0851. He works on a lot of older stuff that a lot of shops won’t. If he can’t do it, he could more than likely get you pointed in the right direction. He has done some work for me and I have been very happy with his work and pricing.

Thanks. I tried Keith, but he doesn?t work on the 250/300. He did provide some helpful troubleshooting tips. It appears that these comm/gps units are built from non-serviceable modules. No more spare modules means no more support.

Working unit on my shelf

If you?re interested I?ll sell you it, GNC-300XL. Was working 4.0 when removed, includes rack and gps antenna (which you don?t need...).

Like to get $1,000. Happy to ship it to you, if it works pay, if not ship it back.

Gordon

also: I have tried re-seating the unit several times, and have swapped it out w/ a friend's 300XL. His worked fine.
thanks

Wow, I mentioned swapping radios a few weeks ago when my Garmin SL-40 stopped transmitting and you would think I asked to borrow someone?s engine! Seems like people don?t do that anymore when that was the fastest way to troubleshoot back in the day.

Anyway I ended up sending it to Peshak in Austin too. Too bad he can?t fix yours, he gives fast service and the price is better than sending it to Garmin with their $800 flat rate. I recommend him too.

Anyway I ended up sending it to Peshak in Austin too. Too bad he can?t fix yours, he gives fast service and the price is better than sending it to Garmin with their $800 flat rate. I recommend him too.

So, if Garmin has a flat rate for the unit, it seems that they still support it. Is that right?

Repair of GNC300XL

It? Just a box. Open it up and look inside. Worst case put the cover back on.
Lots of failure are bad grounds usually around the outside areas of boards.
Experimental means experiment

Back