What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fundamentals of Aircraft Cooling

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
In the March 2006 there is an article entitled "Control the Flow - The Fundamentals of Aircraft Cooling" that I found to be very interesting. I supports what GMCJetPilot and others have been telling me for some time. It was a stunner that comes across with high credibility. I'm going to have to re-think my long term approach to the whole engine cooling thing from inlet to outlet.

Bob Axsom

Which magazine?

Bob said:
In the March 2006 there is an article entitled "Control the Flow - The Fundamentals of Aircraft Cooling" that I found to be very interesting. I supports what GMCJetPilot and others have been telling me for some time. It was a stunner that comes across with high credibility. I'm going to have to re-think my long term approach to the whole engine cooling thing from inlet to outlet.
I usually get my magazines here a bit late - just got February Sport Pilot - so I want to make sure I don't miss the article. What was the gist of it?

Sport Aviation, Mick.

FYI an opinion here. I have seen multiple copies of the newer Sport Pilot mag and I don't think its nearly as helpful or relevant to RV builders as Sport Aviation is.

sport aviation

rzbill said:
Sport Aviation, Mick.

FYI an opinion here. I have seen multiple copies of the newer Sport Pilot mag and I don't think its nearly as helpful or relevant to RV builders as Sport Aviation is.
You are, of course, right. I glanced over to my stack of mags, and the two on the top are AOPA Pilot, and Sport Aviation. I grabbed two words of the title and got Sport Pilot! Thanks for the info.

It gives theoretical details, drawings and numbers

How bad of me not to mention that it is in the March issue of Sport Aviation (the one with the Spitfire on the cover). I can be a lazy reader in pseudo technical areas written in a certain shallow parental style but this is deeper with specific features, number ranges and characteristics for designing the cooling system from air inlet to exit. It does not provide aircraft specific designs but it triggered a very motivated response rather than the usual sceptical turn-off. The conceptual design ideas just naturally started stewing in my mind. I will block off the cavity behind the the upper airfoil shaped inlet ramps in my upper cowl for now as I had planned but down the road I can see a lot of refinement opportunities based on the fundamentals in this article.

Bob Axsom

high credibility

Bob Axsom said:

Bob Axsom
LOL, Thanks for the credit, but I noticed the, "with highly credibility", comment. Does that imply I come across with low credibility? :eek:

You know I am kidding, and I know you believe everything I write, of course. :rolleyes: Thanks for the heads up, I have to read it, so I can learn to write with "high credibility". (so lol). To be honest, as I think you know my source on aircraft cooling is from the NASA research paper on the topic; We know NASA is credible. :D

Cheers George, aka GMCjetpilot

PS, what's the word on the space probe that returned a few months ago? What did we find out? Did we come from aliens or primordially ooze.

PS, what's the word on the space probe that returned a few months ago? What did we find out? Did we come from aliens or primordially ooze.
George,
Primordial ooze. That's why the best and brightest of us are listed in "Ooze-oo". :D

The folks on Stardust are very happy

I got the press releases and several behind the scenes inputs from my ex-teammates at JPL and they are over joyed with the results. They did collect visible comet dust particals as planned and they are being processed at JSC. I retired at the end of September in 2004 so I'm pretty much on the outside these days and I don't know the science that is coming out of the Stardust Project. I worked Genesis as my last project and of course the Sample Return Capsule crashed into Utah desert. However, the PI told me that even though most of the solar wind array collectors were broken the Concentrator target survived very well and they are recovering science there too. The difference here is the Solar wind particals are atom sized and of course you can get a lot of them in a very small fragment of a collector. The scientists are working very hard and very carefully and they are achieving success. If you go to http://www.jpl.nasa.gov you should be able to see the latest published results. the specific web site for Genesis is http://genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov.

Bob Axsom

Mad Mag

rv8ch said:
You are, of course, right. I glanced over to my stack of mags, and the two on the top are AOPA Pilot, and Sport Aviation. I grabbed two words of the title and got Sport Pilot! Thanks for the info.

Oh right, sorry about that Mickey. I guess the Sport Pilot thread touched a nerve. Last Aug, I talked my dad into going to OSH with me after a long hiatus and resubscribing to EAA and all that. We were at the counter getting entry tickets and I talked him into taking Sport Pilot rather than Sport Aviation, so we would have both. Ugh, my mistake. Sure, the mag is fine for what its designed for, but it ain't what dad wanted. I need to get his subscripton changed or I'll never hear the end of whinin' :D He'll certainly never get around to callin' EAA to change it! :rolleyes:

I've done that

rv8ch said:
Its, OK, smart people a dyslexic. G

PS: I read it but a little disappointed. It went into a the flush NACA scoop a lot. Not a real application for RV's in the engine cooling department. I see its use for pushers, which do use NACA scoops to feed cooling and induction air to their engine. The exit outlet info was interesting, but its hard to do well as they stated with the structural/geometry limitations, but there is room for improvement. Over pretty good, gave me some ideas for inside the cowl, I can't say now, top secret. :D

Last edited:
Back