What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

San Antonio tourism

Brian130

Well Known Member
I'm heading to San Antonio for the long weekend. Anybody have recommendations on things to see/do? Anything I should not waste my time with?

Brian,
I was there 3 years ago when one of my sons finished basic training at Lackland. The downtown area along the Riverwalk is interesting, and there are some very good Mexican restaurants there. Also, the Alamo is worth seeing, and I would recommend seeing the film first. Can't remember where the theater is located but IIRC it's across the street and around the corner from the Alamo. You could just Google "San Antonio" and find lots to do there. Let us know how it turns out.
Don Hull

If you do the Riverwalk there is a pretty good restaurant you should check out. It's on Houston street on the river. Around the corner from the Drury Inn. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a fancy mexican joint, kind of a nuvo Mexican food, really good. For a great little German place, try Schilo's it's downtown just off the riverwalk. I grew up eating splitpea soup there, great place for lunch, try the homemade rootbeer.

If you want a nice icehouse to go to, check out Hills and Dales. Spent a couple of years of my life there. It's on loop 1604 west of I10 at Babcock. It's about a 15 minute drive from downtown..

If you have any questions send me an email.

Have a great time in SA

Come on by

Brian,
If you are flying, drop into the house and I will give you a map, feed you a steak and tell you where to go. TE86, house on far North end...West Side.
Cheers, Steve
(830)734-3000

Thanks everybody for the info!

Steve...thank for the generous offer! Unfortunately, we're driving this trip. I'd like to come see your plane though, if you'll be around. I'll give you a call tomorrow when we get into town (we're staying at Randolph VOQ).

Brian

Last edited:
SA, Riverwalk, "Fighter Pilot," missions, KSSF

To anyone going to San Antonio in the near future, here's what I learned after the trip:

1. Downtown is great if you're on the Riverwalk, don't bother hanging out on street level.

2. Check out the happenings around town. Going on the weekend on a national cheerleading competition AND national rodeo makes for a crowded city and an even more crowded downtown.

3. IMAX films are awesome - watched "Fighter Pilot" while we were there. Great film. Would have probably had a better platform with a 16 or A-10 pilot, but the C model still made for a good movie.

4. The 4 missions (plus the Alamo) are cool for an afternoon, not much more unless you're an archeological/history buff.

5. San Antonio barbeque is not Memphis/KC/St Louis barbeque. Opinions vary, but don't expect Beale street when you order ribs, beans, and cole slaw.

After all that, I found a cool airport, Stinson Municipal Airport (KSSF). There was a pusher-puller Cessna 337 and a DC-6 parked on the ramp (never seen either one of those), along with lots of 150/172/PA-28 aircraft.

Blue skies,

Back