What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealant Applicator

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hello all!

Does anyone know where the applicator on the right of this pic can be found or what is it called? I've beens searching for 30 minutes and coming up short. Vans didn't ship me the applicator, old pic in their catalog.

cat-med_proseal.jpg

The photo on the right is not an applicator, but a one-shot dispenser. Once you start to use it, its intended to be consumed in a single sitting. I never used them as I wanted the flexibility to make batches for the task at hand. Van's used to sell them, though I have not bought sealant in a while...

Regards,

Dean

Ahh. That makes sense, thanks.

Is there an applicator that can be used with Proseal? Not looking forward to the popsicle stick method.

The tube on the right is a "Semkit", and the applicator guns are Semco, available, among other places, here: https://www.browntool.com/Listview/tabid/344/CategoryID/480/Level/a/ProductID/2661/Default.aspx
Many adhesives and sealants are available in Semkits, and the two-part types are mixed in the tube before application. Downside: Inability to mix a smaller batch. However, you can mix the sealant from a can-type kit and load it into an empty Semco tube (they're available, too) and use the gun.

Last edited:
I think Vans sells this still - as "3.5 oz" size. I hope so - just ordered some.

I've used them a couple of times - reasonably good except the mixing part is rather tedious. But it cuts down (a little) on the overall messiness of the process. Seems to me you can use a regular old cheapy caulk gun....

Last edited:
What are you guys using to "dispense" Proseal? Mainly it's the aft window I'm worried about getting a good bead going without a giant mess.

The tube on the right is a "Semkit", and the applicator guns are Semco, available, among other places, here:https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=850-6.
Many adhesives and sealants are available in Semkits, and the two-part types are mixed in the tube before application. Downside: Inability to mix a smaller batch. However, you can mix the sealant from a can-type kit and load it into an empty Semco tube (they're available, too) and use the gun.

Mike H works with Stein - they got all of my money, so Mike can afford the new ones :D

Last edited:
I have seen other use a modified caulk gun.

Another option is a used SEMCO gun kit from another VAF sponsor.

I have had good success using it and staying clean! Only word of caution is that I have ordered the 3.5 oz size twice, and got one that was the smaller tube, the other one was the larger tube. If you do get the SEMCO gun kit, also grab the 6oz tube holder.

Whew! Back from THAT internet rabbit hole.

There are tons of those Semco 250A sealant guns available on the cheap, including from Brown Tool. As little as $30 bucks on eBay with new ones at around $100.

I think this looks like the best way to go and the Brown Tool complete kit looks perfect.

Thanks, all!

Syringe

I bought a bunch of the huge liquid nourishment syringes. Cut the thumb ring off and drop it into a caulk gun. The tip leaves a perfect bead. Cheap. Throw them out after use cheap.
I prefered the popscicle stick method for spreading.

All great suggestions.

Has anyone ever used Fantastic soap or similar? Spray it on the sealant and your fingers, be very gentle, mold the bead as desired. It takes practice.

Water

All great suggestions.

Has anyone ever used Fantastic soap or similar? Spray it on the sealant and your fingers, be very gentle, mold the bead as desired. It takes practice.

I just used water. Dipped my finger and worked the areas needed but most was done with a popscicle stick.

There are tons of those Semco 250A sealant guns available on the cheap, including from Brown Tool. As little as $30 bucks on eBay with new ones at around $100.

I think this looks like the best way to go and the Brown Tool complete kit looks perfect.

Thanks, all!

Yep, you will not regret it. I tried all the other methods and the 3.5 oz semco is perfect for me. You can mix (2 hour stuff) use some and stick it in the freezer. It will last way longer than you think - weeks. Combined with the quart of proseal it provides the easiest and most cost effective combo I tried.

Oh - I used cotton balls and q-tips to clean the edges, it works best, other tools just smear it, everywhere . . . it made a nice fine filet for my rear window.

I bought the Semkit from ACS. You can unscrew the black rod portion which contains the hardener from the main tube and then squeeze out as much as you need (10:1) of each part. That way you never have to mix them and can keep each component in the fridge to use at a much later time.

Thanks, all!

I will only use "ProSeal" with a pneumatic gun. Shop around for a used one and you will be set. I have both the 2 Oz and 6 Oz cartridge holders and switch out as needed. I use 3.5 Oz cartridges on my RV-6 25-years ago. I have gotten slower in my old age and was throwing out too much of the 3.5 Oz so switched to the 2 Oz size. The extra cost is worth the perfect mix and a lot less mess for me.

Late to the party here, but I just used sandwich bags with a corner cut off to dispense the stuff.

Back