What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-8 throttle quadrant layout

jdmunzell

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about panel layout for my -8, and one of the areas I am most interested in is the throttle quadrant layout. I've poured through many of the panel layouts from everybody over in its own thread.

I know that the standard issue throttle layout is that basic flat side piece that runs up underneath the panel. It's fine I suppose, and perhaps might be easier for forearm comfort. I am interested though in some of the configurations where I've seen both left and right side panels angle up and meet the bottom of the instrument panel. The throttle quadrant is incorporated into such fabrications and they look great! Very sharp looking!

My question is about the ergonomics of such configurations. How comfortable and/or practical are these different installations. Would anybody have done things differently one way or another if given the chance?

No!

You question leave little wiggle room. But no, after looking at every option at the time and setting down and going over the manipulation of all the items in front of the pilot we found for a right handed person the throttle and radio stack as well as the flap switch were fine on the left side. Even if you are left handed it is a small adjustment that you get used to very quickly. We like the throttle per plans with the stock Van's standard unit. It all has a good natural feel as you hand fly the aircraft with the right hand. Just what we like. It is your bird; make yourself happy. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Throttle Quadrant

I recommend using the round top version of the throttle quadrant rather than the flat top version. The flat top version sits a little low in the mounting hole and simply does not look as good. No changes are necessary to use the round top version

If I had it to do over again, I'd just have the throttle in the quadrant and put the mixture and prop on the vertical panel and use a vernier control for both.

Jeff,

I have short arms (T-Rex syndrome) so the standard position seemed too far for me. Here's the link to the web page showing what I did. I think it is what you were describing as the ones that angle up. http://www.kit-plane-advice.com/aircraft-throttle.html

Very pleased, it made resting my hand on the throttle during cruise or aero very comfortable.
my-throttle-quadrant.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys. Yes, that angled one was the type I was referring to, the way it angles up to the bottom of the dash. It just plain looks sharp. My issue will probably be my long arms!

I also like the look of that curved throttle quadrant. That could be a real player for me...

many things to think about....

I would love to install one of the replica P-51 throttle quadrants in my -8. But it would have to be installed somewhat higher on the side wall and perhaps inboard a little. The standard quadrant works fine though I do have to turn my wrist "around the corner" somewhat to use it.

Here is how I did mine.
The throttle is a little to the rear and inside compared to the plans. When I was sitting in a -8 I just looked where my throttle hand falls and here I installed it on my plane.
Today I flew with a 220 lbs tall guy in the rear and realized that I was touching his knees with my left elbow when my hand was on the throttle. Not all that bad but the throttle could be a little bit more forward. I assume that I seldom fly with tall guys like him - after all we have to accept compromises in airplanes.

Lyle Hefel really set the gold standard for nice-looking throttle installations. I don't have a photo but one of the posts in this thread shows something similar:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=80671&page=2

I used the flat-top "deluxe" quadrant that Vans sells, slightly modified to make the top plate sit flush with the quadrant surface (I filed down the corners of the quadrant to get a better fit). It works fine. If I were doing it again however I would seriously consider using vernier push-pull cables as Jim suggested. More precise control, and way easier to replace. I've had to replace two cables in 1000 hours of flying my RV-8 and it was a real PITA both times, due to the tight quarters around the quadrant.

Back