What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Printing in the shop

walkman

Well Known Member
Is anyone using 3D printing in the shop for anything? Prototyping, or making actual parts?

Yes, I've got a jones for some shiny new tech :D

I don't have a 3D printer, but I do have a small CNC setup. My brother in law just built a monster Rostock Max 3D printer. I keep trying to think of something I can use either one for, but I keep coming up empty. I may use my machine to cut and engrave the panel when that time comes. Maybe I'll have him spit me out a 3D printed flap switch lever. It would also be great for mounting microswitches in various places. I won't know until I'm much farther along with my build, right now everything is all aluminum.

Yes, but...

I have access to a 3D printer, as well as CNC routers, mills, and laser cutters/engravers. The 3DP is a useful tool for prototyping parts, but I can't see to many parts actually being 3DP as a final part. I used it to make a prototype lever for the canopy latch. That worked well, and showed the issues I'd have when it was done in aluminum on the CNC machine.

That said, the shop where I use the 3DP is now applying for an STC for a part that is entirely printed. It is a non-structural part, but is in the airstream at ~200kts.

If I was investing in CNC tools (which, I am), I'd start with the router, then the mill, then the laser cutter/engraver, and the 3DP would be last.

I have a Reprap i2 a friend of mine built, and as I'm typing this it is printing a part for the new and much larger 3D printer I am in the process of building.

The few things I've printed for the airplane are non-structural in nature, such as a mount I put out in the wingtip for the APRS box.

But around the shop and house its paid for itself many times over. The Z-axis pulley on my Bridgeport CNC was printed, and its about 8" in diameter.

Where I forsee it being really useful for airplane building is making molds and plugs for custom fiberglass parts.

Where I forsee it being really useful for airplane building is making molds and plugs for custom fiberglass parts.

I've tried it for that purpose, but there is so much post-printing work required that it makes it less useful.

An example: I am building some carbon fiber panels that will house all of the pilot and passenger connections. There are 6 depressions for connections: Mic, Phones, LEMO, USB, Aux Music, Oxygen. The whole part is about 7" long by 3 1/2" wide.

Audio%2520Panel%25202_rendered.JPG"

We cut the blank and the buck out of Renshape, then primed it before making parts.

If I had 3DP'ed the mold and buck, I would have had to finish them by filling them with epoxy, sanded back to the surface, then primed and finally pulled parts. Cutting them on the CNC router saved me a step.

But, the drill guide to drill the holes in that part will be a steel guide pressed into a 3DP fixture. It has it's place, for sure.

Last edited:
I recall seeing a video somewhere that one of the kit planes manufactures was using 3D printing for production parts; things like pitot tube or something. Darn if I can remember who or where though.

I might also be useful for interior panels.

Bob

I own a printer

I own a FDM machine. Prints in ABS plastic and is very useful. I can pull fiberglass molds right off the plastic model. The plastic parts alone can used depending on the purpose. Here's my most recent creation
Let me know if you have a part to print.

Mold for composites..

I own a FDM machine. Prints in ABS plastic and is very useful. I can pull fiberglass molds right off the plastic model.

Chris, I'd be interested in how you go from FDM as a mold to a composite part. Every time I've looked at it the additional steps to get the surface finish right and fill the FDM part with mold release leaves me wishing I'd used a CNC routered mold. But I'd love to know what you're doing, because the sheer number of parts that I'm now doing this way is going up, and saving time and steps would be welcomed.

Back