What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Today's Front Page

terrykohler

Well Known Member
Axel:
Test pilot and astronaut candidate. What the heck is she doing in the rear seat????
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Years ago, when I''d take astronaut friends flying in my J-3, I ALWAYs put them in the front seat! 'Course, that's the passenger seat...... :)

Good question!

"...The New York native earned a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering with Information Technology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, followed by a Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering from the Naval Postgraduate School. She is also a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School and has accumulated more than 1,600 hours of flight time and 150 combat missions."

So yeah, why wasn't she in the front seat? :D

P.S. I just found this; it could explain that she's used to the wing rotating rather than being fixed!

"At the time of her selection in June 2017, Moghbeli was testing H-1 helicopters and serving as the quality assurance and avionics officer for Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron 1 of the U.S. Marine Corps in Yuma, Arizona."

I still think she could handle an RV-4.

Last edited:
That's very cool!

Maybe one day she'll return the favor and give you a ride in something "sportier," Axel. ;) What a cool payback that would be.

My Guess.......

Axel:
Test pilot and astronaut candidate. What the heck is she doing in the rear seat????
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Probably because she didn't have 3 full stop landings in an RV-4 within the last 90 days to qualify her to act as PIC with a passenger.

Back