What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx , back in business?

I would agree if purchasing new. For those of us that already have sunk cost in a Navworx unit, the decision point is a little different for each of us.

In my case it's stick with the AMOC and use my 327 and the 650 as a position source, but risk future software updates may not support the original platform (costs $0.00), upgrade to the new boards and GPS ($600), or install a new transponder (Trig) and an ADSB receiver (Dynon/AFS) ($3,000).

What option I prefer and what option I can afford are different. Just like most things in life. :D

The above pretty much describes my situation. Although equipment is different, $$$ decisions are the same. With an unlimited budget I'd do a lot differently but as an "early adopter" of Navworx on limited resources my path is set.

BTW, I have had nothing but the best service responses from Bill at Navworx. Whatever I've asked for Bill was able to provide. Hope the same level of service continues under the new arrangement. As always, YMMV.

You don't mention what else is in your panel. That would must likely cause me to sway one way or another on the recommendation.

At the moment basically nothing of note. I intend to put in a 430W and Skyview HDX early next year, but due to my proximity to the DEN Class B, I must replace the dead transponder now to keep flying. However the future integrations also require a bit of forethought.

With that avionics combo I don't see any world where I don't end up with dual wifi networks running at minimum. The Skyview would provide one for nearly everything including VFR plans to the autopilot, but I'd want a FlightStream for loading IFR plans from ForeFlight into the 430, as manual entry is tedious on those. Given that, maybe I care less about the onboard ADS-B wifi capability right now and just run the Stratux for a while longer, and put that feature lower on the list.

So if you didn't place wifi as high on the list, but want fixed-transceiver In/Out with data (ARINC/RS-232) to other displays at minimum, which way do you go? This is where the Naxworx is appealing at least on paper, but obviously they have left a sour taste with many of you thus far.

The Appareo Stratus ESG has GPS data out. Or do you mean it does not have traffic and weather? I like the fact that the Appareo is just one box, not dependent on other brand equipment. If two different brands are connected together and there is problem, each manufacturer will blame the other, leaving you caught in the middle. I would rather just have one box to fail, not two.

FIS-B/TIS-B data out to another "box". If they were to include industry standard protocols, anything else should consume the data just fine. When I put the Skyview in, I want to see those things on the display.

At the moment basically nothing of note. I intend to put in a 430W and Skyview HDX early next year, but due to my proximity to the DEN Class B, I must replace the dead transponder now to keep flying. However the future integrations also require a bit of forethought.

With that avionics combo I don't see any world where I don't end up with dual wifi networks running at minimum. The Skyview would provide one for nearly everything including VFR plans to the autopilot, but I'd want a FlightStream for loading IFR plans from ForeFlight into the 430, as manual entry is tedious on those. Given that, maybe I care less about the onboard ADS-B wifi capability right now and just run the Stratux for a while longer, and put that feature lower on the list.

So if you didn't place wifi as high on the list, but want fixed-transceiver In/Out with data (ARINC/RS-232) to other displays at minimum, which way do you go? This is where the Naxworx is appealing at least on paper, but obviously they have left a sour taste with many of you thus far.

If you are seriously looking at the Skyview HDX, then I would clearly recommend getting the Dynon branded Trig ES transponder and their ADSB receiver. That is assuming you want to scrape your Navworx unit It may have some resell value, but it's too early to tell at the moment.

Since you don't have the 430W yet, I would recommend talking a hard look at the Avidyne GPS. I'm not up to speed on the HDX, but I'm assuming many of the AFS features will cross pollenate across the Dynon line.

Foreflight works seamlessly with an AFS 5X00 EFIS and the Avidyne product line. You can transfer flight plans to/from Foreflight, as well as the EFIS airdata to Foreflight as well. BTW, AFS also can function as a Wi-Fi client to a Stratux unit too.

If you are seriously looking at the Skyview HDX, then I would clearly recommend getting the Dynon branded Trig ES transponder and their ADSB receiver. That is assuming you want to scrape your Navworx unit It may have some resell value, but it's too early to tell at the moment.

Since you don't have the 430W yet, I would recommend talking a hard look at the Avidyne GPS. I'm not up to speed on the HDX, but I'm assuming many of the AFS features will cross pollenate across the Dynon line.

Foreflight works seamlessly with an AFS 5X00 EFIS and the Avidyne product line. You can transfer flight plans to/from Foreflight, as well as the EFIS airdata to Foreflight as well. BTW, AFS also can function as a Wi-Fi client to a Stratux unit too.

+1, except Ralph has indicated he's not yet ready to pull the trigger on the Skyview. And I think the Dynon/Trig transponder is remote-mounted, meaning he needs the Skyview to use it! Also, I think the Avidyne is a fine GPS, but notably more expensive than a used 430W. My recommendation is to immediately buy a used 327 for around $400 (plus certification cost). If you go a different route in 6 months, you can probably re-sell it for about what you paid for it.

My recommendation is to immediately buy a used 327 for around $400 (plus certification cost). If you go a different route in 6 months, you can probably re-sell it for about what you paid for it.

I keep orbiting around that idea too. I eat a little money on it, but resale should be about what I pay now. It just goes away in the spring when I do the Skyview, and the plane is legal in the meantime. I am also waiting for an email from Dynon to tell me what 'In' transceivers would work now and in the future in case I just decide to go all the way now, but I was hoping for the Skyview's integrated remote boxes to reduce panel clutter when all said and done. I have since learned that they won't talk to a 345 or Lynx, so those are right out. :/

FIS-B/TIS-B data out to another "box". If they were to include industry standard protocols, anything else should consume the data just fine. When I put the Skyview in, I want to see those things on the display.
I assume that you are talking about the Stratus ADS-B-IN portable receiver. The Stratus ESG Transponder does not receive traffic and weather. The ESG is OUT only.
If you install the SkyView in the future, you can buy the dual band SV-ADSB-472 receiver to display traffic and weather on the SkyView.

For many of us, we can't confirm the Foreflight support until 5.0 is released for the ADS600-B. There is a bug in 4.1.0 in which display port 2 doesn't function properly when display port 1 is serial attached to an EFIS. The symptom is that the iPad sees the SSID, recognizes the Navworx unit, but no traffic is transmitted. According to Bill, this is fixed in 5.0. The same symptom also is present with WingX.

My wifi module is on display port 1. I can confirm that it does indeed work on ForeFlight.

I assume that you are talking about the Stratus ADS-B-IN portable receiver. The Stratus ESG Transponder does not receive traffic and weather. The ESG is OUT only.
If you install the SkyView in the future, you can buy the dual band SV-ADSB-472 receiver to display traffic and weather on the SkyView.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the ESGi pairing. The two boxes talk to each other, it'd be nice if the ESG could take that and output to something else.

My wifi module is on display port 1. I can confirm that it does indeed work on ForeFlight.

Thanks for that confirmation! You get both traffic and weather?

I am trying to confirm from Dynon whether anything other than their self-branded uAvionix receiver will even work with the Skyview. That's likely to be the deciding factor in what's next, though I think best case would be something like a Navworx since they've already confirmed in their own forums that 345/Lynx are incompatible.

More to follow, but I'm anticipating a 327 and a new encoder in my near future most likely. Really appreciate the input and insight everyone!

Thanks for that confirmation! You get both traffic and weather?

There was no significant weather on the day I was checking it out. So I can't tell you that I saw weather, but Foreflight did put up the grey bars that indicate "nothing to see here".

My understanding was that the bug related to the port 2 data only affected the traffic in the first place. So maybe another forum member can confirm the weather display more positively than I can for you. I saw traffic, and called it a day (put the iPad away and went back to the instrument panel).

To save going to the FAA website, here's the text:

The FAA said:
Press Release ? FAA Proposes Civil Penalty of Nearly $3.7 Million Against Manufacturer of ADS-B Navigation Units

For Immediate Release

October 27, 2017
Phone: 817-222-4455

FORT WORTH, Texas ? The U.S. Department of Transportation?s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) proposes a civil penalty of $3,685,000 against NavWorx Inc. of Rowlett, Texas, for allegedly producing and selling navigation units that did not meet FAA requirements and for allegedly misleading customers about those products.

?The FAA has strict requirements for navigation units to ensure the reliability of the information they provide both to pilots and to air traffic controllers,? said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. ?Customers of these products must be able to trust that their equipment meets our safety standards."

During an investigation, the FAA found that NavWorx produced certain Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) navigation units containing an internal Global Positioning System (GPS) chip that did not meet the FAA?s standards for integrity.

In March 2015, the FAA notified the aviation industry that it had tightened its System Integrity Level (SIL) standards for GPS chips in units that meet the FAA?s January 1, 2020 mandatory deadline for operators to equip their aircraft with ADS-B transmitters. Such units, when properly manufactured and operated, broadcast an aircraft?s precise position.

The FAA alleges that, rather than replace the chips in its ADS600-B units, NavWorx knowingly altered the units? internal software to transmit a code that indicated the units met the new SIL standard even though they did not. The FAA further alleges that the company subsequently refused to comply with the FAA?s direction to modify the software to transmit an accurate code.

The FAA also alleges that NavWorks advertised on its company website and through transactions with customers that ADS600-B part numbers 200-0012 and 200-0013 met the FAA?s tighter standards for the 2020 installation deadline. These advertisements omitted and materially misrepresented the essential fact that the units contain a GPS chip that is incapable of meeting the FAA?s standards.

In November 2016, the FAA issued an emergency order suspending the authorization that NavWorx uses to manufacture the affected ADS-B units after the company repeatedly refused to allow the FAA to inspect its records and manufacturing facilities. The authorization, known as a Technical Standard Order Authorization (TSOA), enables suppliers to produce components for use on aircraft after proving that each component meets FAA standards.

Federal regulations set forth FAA?s authority to inspect suppliers? quality systems, facilities, technical data, and products to determine whether they meet safety standards. These regulations also provide that the FAA may witness any tests necessary to determine a product?s compliance. The company subsequently allowed the inspections to occur and the FAA reinstated NavWorx?s manufacturing authorization.

The FAA is continuing to work with NavWorx customers to ensure the safety and accuracy of the affected products. In June 2017, the FAA published a final Airworthiness Directive (AD) that requires owners to remove or disable these ADS-B units. The AD also allows the owner to modify the unit by linking it with a GPS unit that contains a certified chip that meets FAA standards.

NavWorx has been in communication with the FAA about the case.

Back