What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing wings

ivana

Is it possible to remove the wings on an RV-7A? A negative is that it's been outside for 5 years in northwest Oregon.

Sure, it is not easy but it is possible. Get a couple folding tables from Walmart, a couple moving blankets for each side, lift up the wing a bit and put the table under the wing with the blanket on for support, then tackle the bolts. Good luck. Email if you want me to explain better. Good luck.

We took ours off for re painting.

Took about 40 minutes.

Remember to order new bolts for reassembly, they are close tolerance and I wouldn't want to re use old ones.

Yep, not easy but can be done - use new bolts when reassembling, they are close-tolerance, available from VANS.

We took ours off for re painting.

Took about 40 minutes.

Remember to order new bolts for reassembly, they are close tolerance and I wouldn't want to re use old ones.

Was this on an A model? it took me two days to install mine, the whole time I was thinking to my self, I hope I never have to remove these bolts.....Ever!

LOL, you guys have obviously never had to pull the wings off a pre-7 "spar-thru" RV! I think the bolt count is around 64. :eek:

And taking them off was the easy part...

Bret,

Good point, well presented !

No - RV7

I guess a more refined hammer will be required for the 7A

LOL, you guys have obviously never had to pull the wings off a pre-7 "spar-thru" RV! I think the bolt count is around 64. :eek:

And taking them off was the easy part...

I was just thinking the same thing. final assembly of the wings was the only time that I had wished I had bought a 7 instead of a 6. I swore I would sell the plane before every taking them off. Doing this job out on the ramp in August didn't help either.

Larry

Back