What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line routing - opinion

marchudson

Well Known Member
The plans call for running the fuel line from the fuel pump to the servo around the left side of the oil sump (IO-360, horizontal, cold air). Half way, it is supposed to be attached to an intake tube.

I was looking at routing the fuel line between the oil sump and the intake tubes as pictured below and was wondering if anyone sees a problem with this? Instead of using a 90 degree fitting at the fuel servo as pictured, I would order the line with a 45 degree fitting. With the 90 degree fitting, the hose passes over the clamp for the intake tube at the oil sump and it's a little tight right there. A 45 fitting would solve this.

Somebody is asking "why are you doing this?" Well, I'm mounting the fuel flow transducer on the firewall and it looks like this route for the fuel line would be a much cleaner setup.

Opinions??? Thanks

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03294.jpg

Looks like that routing puts it closer to the exhaust pipes, if thats the case, I would route it up higher around the sump away from the exhaust.

picture angle

Walt

Thanks for the reply. From the angle of the picture, it looks like it is closer. I measured the distance in both locations and it is the same. I was thinking that the exhaust might be slightly cooler the farther you are away from the cylinder.

The fuel flow transducer works best in the metered line (i.e the line to the spider).

You should definately put heat shields on the exhaust where the fuel line is close to it.

One thing I noticed is your exhaust support, attached mid-span of the engine mount tube. I would move that down towards the attach point of the tube. Less stress on the tube that way.

Regards, Tonny.

Just had this discussion with my a/p buddy and another rv builder, getting my rv ready for inspection. Decided to run it high, use adel claps on the intake and attach to the fuel hose to hold it clear of the exhaust and intake tubes and more importantly the mixture bracket. Also installed two heat shield on the exhaust tubes between the tubes and the fuel line. Maybe over kill, but satisfies me that the line will not contact exhaust or intake tubes and will not interfere with the mixture cable. Bt the way, my fuel flow transducer is in this very long staright run.

Back