What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dimple nutplates?

zsadecki

Do the nutplates (i think that's what they're called, the little things that get riveted in to screw bolt/screws into) get dimpled? The trim access plate has countersunk rivets and is dimpled, so I assume you dimple those things too.. But they are pretty tiny and I thought they might get kinda warped, so I'll ask before I have to order more parts.. :)

Dimpled nutplates

Nutplates get dimpled if the mating surface (skin) in which they are attached get dimpled. The dimple of the skin nests inside of the dimpled nutplate just like overlapping skins would. I use my squeezers to dimple nutplates. You may need to use the small diameter female dimple die so it doesn't interfere with the barrell of the nutplate. And yes, they do sometimes get a little warped out of shape. I use pliers to straighten if necessary.
Keep in mind that it is not necessary to dimple the nutplate if the material it is attached to is machine countersunk.

Sam

Thanks.. Another "duh" on my part. I shoulda just RTFM. I saw section 5R this morning talking about dimpling nutplates...

Dimpled Nutplates

Save yourself some time and hassle by using dimpled nutplates. The K1000 nutplates are straight, the K1100 nutplates are dimpled.

Note that Vans should be providing you dimpled nutplates in the emp package for use in the trim cover. Sometimes they screw up (the did with mine) and give you K1000 nutplates instead of K1100. If so, give them a call and they will take care of you.

-Mike Draper

I think there's a little confusion here. The K1100 dimpled nutplates only have the middle hole dimpled. I think the original post was asking how to attach nutplates with flush head rivets.

There's another option besides dimpling the ears of the nutplate. You can also use NAS1097AD3 rivets. These have a smaller head on them and can be countersunk with just a few extra turns of the deburring tool. These rivets aren't structural, but the rivets holding a nutplate in place don't need to be. Once the screw is installed, that will hold it on there. Search in Van's parts catalog for "nas1097ad3". It's either the -3.5 or -4 size that I end up using most of the time.

Back