What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio stack

marchudson

Well Known Member
Would like to get some opinions on this arrangement. I'm building a slider 7 and the center panel rib won't allow me to mount the GNS 430 any higher without cutting the rib out and doing some major mods. I know most people put the transponder on the bottom of the stack. Originally I was going to put the audio panel up top followed by the GNS430 then SL40 then transponder on the bottom. The only difference between what I was originally planning and what is pictured is that I moved the transponder up between the audio panel and the GNS430. I'm not sure that moving the GNS430 two inches down is going to make a difference in the big scheme of things. Thanks in advance.

_MG_0721.jpg

My opinion is that the most important avionics (GNS 430 to me) should be in the most prominent position, ie highest.

The transponder is touched the least so I would have it at the bottom. The GNS 430 is probably used/touched the most. It should be the highest possible. SL40 possibly second.

Last edited:
That's about the height of the 430 in my -8, and it is fully functional. Would higher be better? probably - but you have to make do with the space that you have, unless you decide that the "major surgery" is worth it. All panels are compromises - you just have to decide if you can live with it. Paste full-sized cut-outs on your panel, sit in the seat, and see how it looks...to you!

Paul

If you are building a slider RV-7, as I am, you have a lot of variability of panel layout choices vs. some of the other RV aircraft. If you place the radio stack between panel ribs, it WILL make installation of the radio rack much easier. Mine is between the center and starboard ribs. Your chosen panel layout may not allow this, but I actually chose my layout with it as a top priority, so I could have your originally planned panel stack layout (Audio Panel on top, then GNS-430W, then SL30, and then Gtx-327 on the bottom). My thoughts are that it is easier to position other components around/under the ribs than it is to position the radio stack within a rib, especially since the radios, particularly the GNS-430 and SL30/40 are the longest (deepest) items in the panel and extend past the subpanel. I did modify my ribs to allow for installation of EFIS displays as high up in the panel as possible. YMMV.

Last edited:
I'll echo Paul, and suggest mocking it up and not only looking at it, but touching the controls and pretending to make changes to the 430, as you might in flight. My thought being you'll then get a feel for the compromises you're making between scan height on the 430, and the ergonomics of stack.

Concur that the 240 and 327 will be touched least often, so having them higher, almost out of the way, and having the 430 closer to your throttle hand may be something you like...that is if the scan of the 430 screen remains comfortable to your eyes. How important that might be may depend on whether you have another moving map in the panel (EFIS, 696, etc) for SA, or if the 430 is your only moving map.

Mission requirements will also help define what you like. Lots of IFR and no other moving map, that screen placement may be top pri. Mostly VFR and lots of formation, small distances from throttle to the frequency change knob may be a feature you'll like.

You might do it in the current arrangement, and then again in another arrangement that puts the screen where you want it but might require rib surgery, to see what works best visually and ergonomically.

Caveat, I don't have a 430, but in my -6 I have a 396 on top of a 340/SL-40/327 stack, and I spend a lot of time playing with the 396 on X-Cs (scrolling, paging, checking wx, etc). Its my only moving map, so high is good for scan and sunlight readability, and I rest my fingers on the glareshield and mash buttons with my thumb to rest my forearm sometimes (actually often). From that experience, I think I'd want a 430 either low or high for manipulating the controls, and high if it was my only map.

Just some thoughts...chair flying it is really a good way to get a feel for what works for you.

Cheers,
Bob

I have the 430 down low....

...and don't like it there at all but a big cable was in the way so we did what we could.

Those ribs are not very structural and can be cut---a lot. Leave maybe a height of 1", enough for the forward top skin to be rivetted to and start cutting and then add a doubler for reinforcement. Many RV's have this done.

As Bob said, for IFR especially, have the 430 really in good view and functionally easily reachable. I like your stack order...just as I would do,

Best,

Thanks guys for all the good inputs. Looks like I'm going to print the picture out life size and tape it on the panel for some chair flying. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

SL-40 Up Top

Based on my experience flying same/similar for 140 Hours (only my audio panel is different) I would put them in this order:

SL40
Audio Panel
GTX 327

Why? Well, in day to day flying the SL-40 is a better radio. I find it more ergonomic, and the second channel monitoring is super-handy and not a feature of the 430. I find myself using the SL-40 a lot more for radio purposes than the 430, hence it should be higher than the 430.

The audio panel is not used as much, more of a "set & forget" item. Having the transponder at the bottom allows you to easily brace your hand on the bottom of the panel when inputting squawk codes. This brings up another point. I have inadvertently shut of my transponder in turbulence. Ditto the audio panel. (this happened flying into DC, all of a sudden I had Nav jamming signal in my ear preventing all communication when my son hit the NAV button on the audio panel by accident). Currently they are mounted flush with the radios. When I redo the panel, I plan to recess them to being flush with panel to reduce the chance of hitting a button by accident.

Hans

I have a 9A and so I guess similar rib displacing.

Since I have double instruments in front of me (SkyView Efis & EMS and classic 6), I placed radio stack slightly on the right. The fall between the ribs. Not flying yet, but it seems a good position. Easy to attach aluminium angles for supporting radio racks.

lbbdu.jpg

n48p6u.jpg

I put my 430 on the top. transponder next and audio panel on the bottom. reasoning......430 much easier to see/use on top, transponder the next most used "radio" and the audio panel, will probably not be touched on most flights

Isn't the center rail structural? The roll bar support ties in to that rail and it has angle stock running down the top part back to the firewall structure. I see nothing wrong in cutting out the part of the rib below the angle stock, but as it angles forward and downward, you won't get a lot of extra panel depth.

Jeff
I think you hit the nail on the head. That was my reasoning for not modifying the middle rib. I can't place the stack to the left or right of it because of the EFIS panels that I'm using. I really don't want to get into chopping the roll bar support rail. I'm leaning towards installing as per the picture that I posted because of the depth issues.

Back