What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot and AOA line routing to AHARs for Skyview

BJohnson

Well Known Member
I'm building the bracket for the Skyview AHARS unit and will be installing it aft of the baggage compartment mounted between the J stinger and the center rib. Now I need to route the two lines from the AOA pitot tube. They will enter at the wing root and turns aft. Where are you guys passing through the bulkhead that also contains the rear spar structure? If it comes out near the fuselage side, are you experiencing interference with the flap actuator bar?

I wanted to turing up the backside of that bulkhead, then turn aft again at the longeron, but am cnocerned about interference with the flap actuator.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Me too

I am currently working on the exact same problem. I have also mounted the unit between the J-stringer and the center reinforcement. Currently, I am leaning toward running the pitot and AOA lines in the left side outer most bay under the seat floor and baggage floors. I plan to drill a single 5/8" hole through F-705 above the rear spar bar in the centroid of the rivets fastening the "corner" of F705 together (yeah - I know a picture would help here). I will put a similar hole through F-706 (also in the centroid between rivets in the lower "corner" An SB625-8 snap bushing is just large enough for two 1/4" lines to pass through (I am using the Safeair pitot/static lines). I believe the lines can be kept clear of the flap linkage by routing them over against the outboard most baggage floor rib and retaining with adel clamps or brackets with snap bushings.

Aft of F-706, I will turn them vertical, and run them along the back perimeter of F-706 (using a snap bushing to pass through the gusset at the F-706/longeron junction) and then curve them over into the Dynon ADAHRS.

After a lot of thought and "mocking up", that's my current plan. I'm open to other suggestions if anybody has any though.

Still undecided

Dan, I was thinking the same thing for the F-705, but two holes instead of one. Did you go ahead and do this?

Currently, I am leaning toward running the pitot and AOA lines in the left side outer most bay under the seat floor and baggage floors.

Here is where I am so far.

p1060696lr.jpg

I was thinking about going down through the F-749-L FWD Baggage side cover, loop around behind the the flapbar. and through the F-705A Rear Spar Attach Bulkhead through one or two holes between the rivet pattern for the F-705A and F-705D bulkheads (missing the rear wing attach bars), and then run the lines under the floor (already riveted in) and out the side of the fuselage to the wing.

I am a little concerned about weakening the bulkhead near the rear spar attach point.

Any thoughts from others?

Last edited:
I changed my mind about this . . .

Dan, I was thinking the same thing for the F-705, but two holes instead of one. Did you go ahead and do this?

I decided to bring the pitot and static lines aft by going through the F-705 and F-706 bulkheads just outboard of the left "tunnel" rib. I just couldn't make myself happy with any of the hole placements around the left lower corner of F-705 - there's just too much "going on" there. This new route will run the lines under the riveted baggage and seat floors, but they are unlikely to need replacing, and even if they do, I think they could be snaked through the bushings with a string or at worst, the baggage/seat floor pop rivets can be drilled.

I am also bringing the pitot and static lines up behind the panel, so this route will make it easier to have a straight shot for the pitot line through the main spar web (with a 3/8" hole for a 1/4" snap bushing), through the forward tunnel, and on up behind the panel. I'll put a tee in this line about a foot or so aft of the main spar to run out to the pitot tube in the wing. The AOA line will just turn at this same location and go on out into the wing.

I will post some photos of all of this when I get it finished.

what I did

Dan, I ran mine across the fuse through the floor ribs and then downn the right side(instead of the left). I had already cut a removable floor for the baggage compartment , so this made it very easy to route the pitot and aoa lines.

inspection plate

Just wondering,
Has anyone tried mounting the ADHARS unit on the inboard wing inspection plate. Seems like a low to no magnetic interference area. Plus the pitot and AOA lines run right by it. Should be pretty easy to fish a few wires and a static tube down there.

Back