What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Wing Spar Shim Question

mbishop

Well Known Member
I'm about to start riveting my wing skins on and I was wondering how exact I have to be with the main spar being level to the table. I have some wood blocks underneath that get me pretty close to level when it is clamped down.

Should I get my level out and ensure X and Y are both level w.r.t. to main spar? Do you think that the pre-punched holes in the wing ensure that there is no warping in the final product?

I'm about to start riveting my wing skins on and I was wondering how exact I have to be with the main spar being level to the table. I have some wood blocks underneath that get me pretty close to level when it is clamped down.

Should I get my level out and ensure X and Y are both level w.r.t. to main spar? Do you think that the pre-punched holes in the wing ensure that there is no warping in the final product?

The pre punched holes are just fine.

When I skinned my wings, I set the spar up on 4 saw horses and shimmed it until everything was level. When I finally fitted the wings and clecoed the rear spar hole, I measured the @#$% out of them and found that they were not as much as 1/16" out anywhere. Final drill the rear spar bolt hole and move on......

Now, it's possible that I am simply an ace builder :D or that the pre-punched holes would have done the job anyway...........

With the wing skins clecoed on, just make sure the inboard and outboard ends of both spars are all parallel with each other.

I didn?t trust mine to come out square, so I borrowed a set of adjustable wing stands so I could clamp the wing in place and adjust out any twist before drilling.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...project=2052&category=7733&log=150366&row=198

It also made a handy fixture for riveting the top skins.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...&project=2052&category=7733&log=161654&row=89

Back