What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab Travel

ethand

Well Known Member
I am working on my trim tabs and find the left one does not have as much travel as the right.

The right one goes up 24 degrees and down the required 35 degrees with some amount of adjustment remaining with the rod end bearing/clevis threads.

The left side I can only get 27 degrees down and 9 degrees up with the rod end bearings/clevis components threaded fully onto the cables. I do not think the mounting location adjustments will do anything as the cable slides in the sleeve. While the rear clevis is threaded fully the bearing on the motor side bottoms out with thread remaining. My thought here is to cut a few threads off to shorten the overall cable by 1/4" or so and then I can get the travel required.

Anyone else had this or can someone tell me what I am missing?

Thanks
E

The trim tabs do not move Symmetrically. What you are seeing is correct. There is an alignment procedure called out in the build plans. Do a search on this forum for Tim Olson?s alignment procedure, which works well.

Trim Tabs

Bill is right, the tabs don't move in unison. In fact, they can actually move in opposite directions at the extreme end of their travel if they're not adjusted properly. Much has been written about the mechanism, however it is possible (without cutting anything) to adjust them so that they at least move in the same direction, albeit not by the same amount.

Thanks Bill and Paddy.

Found Tim's write up on his website about it and seems I am about correct in terms of right side travel. Will adjust the left to match the right when neutral

E

Run the tabs all the way up. Rig the left tab to neutral. Run until left tab just before it starts to drop below center. Rig right tab to center. Done!

Back