What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures of Classic Aero Sierra seats and side panels

Luke D

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Here are some pictures of our Sierra seats and side panels that were just completed for a customer. I wanted to put these out there because I've found that many customers don't realize that we offer products at several price points.

When we started in 2003, we were the lowest price seat option available. As time went on we made improvements to our products. Quality and innovation became our focus, and cost went up. We split our products into two lines (Sportsman and Aviator) to help address this.

A couple of years ago we experimented with some ideas to streamline seat construction, and came up with our CA-1 seat. Our current Sierra seat is an improvement and extension of those ideas, and is a very high quality product at a reasonable price.

The Sierra side panels fill a hole that we've had in our product line for a while. That is a basic but high quality side panel option for RV-7/9 aircraft. Here are some of the bullet points.

Sierra Seats
  • 1" memory foam standard
  • Smooth curves in foam shapes
  • 90% of foam cuts are done with CNC saw
  • Light weight (3.7 lb. per seat in cloth)
  • $786 - $1287 (a pair)
More Info

Sierra Side panels
  • Ready to install. No trimming required by customer
  • Cover about 90% of cabin area sides
  • Optional pockets
  • Light weight (5.2 lb. tailwheel 6.7 lb. nosewheel in cloth)
  • $639 - $996
More Info

Don't be shy. Please feel free to share your comments, thoughts, ideas, or questions on the direction of our interior products.

PS - We are working on products for you RV-14 guys and girls. Hope to have more for you soon...

Sierra seat with Ultraleather trim and Ultrasuede inserts.
2008-lrg.jpg

Sierra seat bare foam (note smooth curved shape)
2009-lrg.jpg

Sierra side panel main pieces (smaller pieces are not shown here)
2010-lrg.jpg

Closeup of air vent panel
2011-lrg.jpg

Closeup of pleated panel above armrest (note that this picture shows a tipup version with latch cutout. Also top and bottom edges are not visible when installed)
2012-lrg.jpg

Last edited:
Any Pireps on these Sierra seats?

I have an order for a full CAD interior just about ready to go but I have to say the amount of money involved really hurts. That?s despite being de-sensitized to aviation pricing by all the previous big-ticket purchases earlier in the project.

I have been considering stepping down from Sportsman to Sierra seats as a cost - saving compromise rather than leaving out side panels or carpet but I would like to hear from people about their experience with these seats or the predecessor CA-1 model.

My thinking is that the interior will still look fully finished right from the start. Based on the photos I have seen, the cheaper seats won?t detract from that, especially if they are done in the same Ultraleather as the side panels. I could upgrade to Sportsman or even Aviator later if I wanted to and the Sierra would be easy to sell on while the new seats would give the cockpit a mid-life refresh.

On the other hand, I am a biggish guy in all 3 dimensions with a sore hip (the beginning of osteo arthritis it seems). Plus, I aim to tour widely, involving some of the longest flight legs I am able for.

Is this an unwise compromise?

This is one area where I decided to spend the money. I got the Aviator seats covered in grey leather with grey sheepskin seating surfaces. Yep, they cost but on a long flight with my intermittent back issues, they are a real back saver. I would do it again.

This is one area where I decided to spend the money. I got the Aviator seats covered in grey leather with grey sheepskin seating surfaces. Yep, they cost but on a long flight with my intermittent back issues, they are a real back saver. I would do it again.
Nice to know, my back is also a bother. Do the sheep skins get too hot and is dirt an issue?

The sheepskin covers in my 170 are cooler than the fabric ones were, and way cooler than some leather seats I?ve ridden in. I wasn?t aware that they were available for the RV without DIY.:)

Back