What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto service @ 500hrs

pa38112

Well Known Member
I have an O-360-A1A with two standard magnetos. Is the recommendation to remove these and send them out for service at 500 hours? If so, any idea what a reasonable cost would be, or where to send them ?

Thank you in advance... !

Yes, 500 Hours

Yep, 500 hour service is correct. Aircraft Magneto Service can do it for you.

http://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/#!500-hour-inspection-details/c14va

The engine I got had two Slick mags when I bought it. I sent them to Aircraft Magneto Service, they did the 500 hour, and replaced a bunch of bad parts. Meanwhile I replaced one with a Lightspeed. I figure I now have 1000 hours of mags, which should give me enough time to either be confident enough in the Lightspeed to install a second one, or maybe by then the P-mag folks will have sorted out their issues.

Aircraft Magneto Service was 2.5 hours at $100/hr. a couple years ago for Slick. Really great guy and fun to chat with!

And P-Mag has their issues worked out - Marc doesn't.....

500 hr

Just had my slicks done. $420 for both included
New points. Here in RI. Contact: Chris Aircraft 401-846-4550

Last edited:
What a timely thread, mine are at Aircraft Magneto Service as we speak.

I decided to send mine in at 499.1 hours just to be safe. :D

mags.jpg

Recommendations for anyone East of the Mississippi???....maybe convenient to Atlanta area?

I sent mine from Georgia to Aircraft Accessories in Oklahoma and had it back within 7 days. Cost about $350 for my one mag.

Rebuild yourself.

Why not rebuild them yourself. You can get the manual online.
If you can build an airplane, the mags won't be that hard.

Back