What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Tank Fix - -

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
Decided to get it done. I have yet to paint touch-up, and re-install, but would advise it will take about 8 hours total to finish, if a flying plane. These are just some of the pictures to give you an idea of the job. Not overly messy. I put a fair amount on the inside of the brackets, and when I put them on a lot pushed out. Dipped/Covered the rivets as instructed also. Together there was enough extra to smooth out the extra all over the surface to seal up everything. Don't expect a leak problem.

I was prepared, and found out the one mix was able to do both job ( seal front plate also ).

RV-12TankMod100_2082.jpg

RV-12TankFix100_2101.jpg

RV-12TankFix100_2100.jpg

John Bender

I did mine this morning as well, since I had my tank still out with the sender plate still not attached, it took all o about an hour maybe, no tricks or problems, easy task. Looks like I slop on a lot more stinky stuff than John does. I used the whole jar, sealed the inside with a blob as well as the outside. Will use the other jar to seal the sender plate, then it is on to the test for leaks phase..
4judk9.jpg
[/IMG]

Overuse of Devil's snot??

I'm just curious about the smearing of Devil's snot all over the outside of the added brackets--Doesn't seem like that is part of the destructions--are you suffering from lack of faith here?

My answer - -

It was oozing out anyway, so just smoothed it up, and thought it looked better that way. After texture paint, will look fine. Not sure the instructions called for it under the bracket, but I did, and feel it will seal it better.

John Bender

My tank

I am lucky in that the top of my tank is not yet installed and doing this modification was not as complicated. I agree with putting the sealant under the new piece and covering the outside. I will also spend some time making sure each rivet inside is coated well. Coating the rivets as they are inserted an set is per instructions and will help with avoiding any leaks.

Probably overkill for sure, but as you can see, I smeared that **** all over the seam area as well, unlike Mr Bender who had his all tidy. What the heck, it is free and don't add that much weight to the plane, and when I paint it and upholster it, nobody will know or care.

I did mine this morning as well, since I had my tank still out with the sender plate still not attached, it took all o about an hour maybe, no tricks or problems, easy task. Looks like I slop on a lot more stinky stuff than John does. I used the whole jar, sealed the inside with a blob as well as the outside. Will use the other jar to seal the sender plate, then it is on to the test for leaks phase..
4judk9.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey, Don

You might have a problem you should mix the tank sealant until it's a uniform shade of gray I see white areas.

Did you build the whole tank mixing sealant like that? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited:
That was from smearing my finger on the bottom of the cup of snot to use it all up. Photo makes it look worse than it really is, and it has set up OK.

That was from smearing my finger on the bottom of the cup of snot to use it all up. Photo makes it look worse than it really is, and it has set up OK.

GET it right boys!! It is "GOO" and NOT "snot". The later runs too much. Only has to seal. Does not have to look good on the bottom. Merry Christmas!! Gotta love this forum.

Doug Dahl

Anybody have any info on the unused hole? I think they decided a rivet is not needed but I am going to put a flush AN 4 in there anyway. just don't like vacant holes.

Hey Doug - -

Only provided 4 rivets, so we are assuming it might be a tooling hole, but only a guess. Can't see where it would hurt to put a rivet in it.

John Bender

extra hole

My take on the addition hole at the bottom left bracket was there was room for some additional security of the bracket to the heavy mount strip. I put in a flush rivet there and it did not hurt a thing.;)

Re-install tank after factory 'CLIP' mod - -

https://picasaweb.google.com/107137...rapSystem122011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzMvOLUypuwDA#

I re-did my strap system to be permanent. Made new alum brackets and had the strap sewn thru the single slots. I cut a piece of heavy plastic tubing and slit it to act as a further method to avoid a strap being cut in case it was ever called upon. 2 Screws from the tunnel hold the inside bracket. It removes easily and can be put off to the side for tank removal. I painted the strap to match the textured type PlastiKote ( Valspar ) paint of the interior. I feel this will now make the tank less of an issue. I believe Vans did a good job on the CLIP Mod. My Strap is my design, and I am offering it only for those who might be interested.

John Bender
348 hours

Nice!

John, very nice job - I'll follow your lead when I get there. Suppose that I can't add your mod until after certification but that's ok. Thanks again for your leadership.:cool:

I want one just like yours John, did you mean to say you can furnish me the hardware? You might also look at the latest page of my kit log since you are mentioned there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107137...rapSystem122011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzMvOLUypuwDA#

I re-did my strap system to be permanent. Made new alum brackets and had the strap sewn thru the single slots. I cut a piece of heavy plastic tubing and slit it to act as a further method to avoid a strap being cut in case it was ever called upon. 2 Screws from the tunnel hold the inside bracket. It removes easily and can be put off to the side for tank removal. I painted the strap to match the textured type PlastiKote ( Valspar ) paint of the interior. I feel this will now make the tank less of an issue. I believe Vans did a good job on the CLIP Mod. My Strap is my design, and I am offering it only for those who might be interested.

John Bender
348 hours

aaaaaaaaa - no - - -

Sorry ! Read more into that than intended. Easy to do however. Pictures pretty much tell the story. ( but thanks ! )

John Bender

John, are you sure that the paint won't weaken the fibers in the strap. There is no way I would use a rope with paint on it for climbing!

Don't know - -

Nylon strap. Tested it a little, but not over a long period of time. Should be able to pull on it from time to time to see if it gets weaker. I'd guess if damage is done, it would be done fairly soon after painting it. After the paint dries, would think it would be stable after that. Will test it from time to time. Could buy a color strap that matches close if desired. I almost did that. Thanks for the note.

John Bender

John, people have died using ropes stored where chemical vapors were in the area. It is hard to know the strength of a rope unless it is tested. In any case the strap manufacturer would strongly recommend against putting any foreign substance on it, I am certain.

I have this great little polly 85 Litre tank in my current plane. After all the grief the Vans one seems to create I figure I will place one of them in!

Jim

New Fuel Tank

I have this great little polly 85 Litre tank in my current plane. After all the grief the Vans one seems to create I figure I will place one of them in!

Jim

So Jim!! Tell us about your fuel tank. Who makes it and what's it look like?

Tom

Back